What Counts as Proof of Residency? – By State

Proof of residency in the US varies by state and is not mandated on a federal level. Each state has the right to determine what types of documents it will accept. Unfortunately, that means the proof of residency you need won’t always be the same if you relocate. Moreover, each organization you apply to can regular its own rules about what is considered reasonable proof.

As of this publication, the proofs here are current to the best of our knowledge and reflect the standards for the DMV and state-issued ID, bank accounts, and government assistance since these tend to have high standards. Please note that requirements and policies change over time. Some individual agencies are more lenient or strict than others, and crossing a state border can significantly impact what type of evidence you need to show where you live.

It is always wise to check the current standards and only use evidence of address documents considered acceptable for the particular situation, entity, or application. If you’re unsure what to bring, you can usually find this information included in a physical, written request for proof of residency online at the requester’s website or by asking.


All residency proof must include your full legal name and address. Paperwork with non-matching names, such as nicknames, or when you leave out the middle name or initial, may be refused or take longer to verify. Try to always turn in paperwork with exactly matching names.

  • A utility bill less than 90 days old can include invoices in the parent or spouse’s name if a birth certificate or marriage license is also included.
  • Social Security benefits statements or summary if mailed (not printed)
  • Current Alabama Driver License or ID card with address
  • Vehicle registration
  • School enrollment documentation
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Defense Department Form 214
  • Military Orders that show a local duty station and place of residence.
  • Residential Mortgage Contract or current homeowners insurance policy
  • State or Federal Court documents that include a residential address
  • Current Lease or Rental agreement for housing or proof of payment of residential property tax (Homestead)
  • Tax returns from the previous year or other U.S. or State Government checks and documents that came by mail
  • Sex offender registration documents


Alaska is one of many states with a short list and a limited number of options. You will most likely need 2 of the following proofs of residence, but bringing a third to ensure you have all your bases covered is never a bad idea.

  • Change of address confirmation from USPS
  • Your current rental lease or mortgage documents
  • First-class personal mail delivered to the listed address and person
  • Your voter registration card (from Alaska only)
  • If you live in a remote tribal area, you can bring a Tribal ID card
  • Alaska title and/or registration if it was issued more than 30 days prior
  • School records that list your address
  • Paycheck Stub
  • A canceled check or bank statement from a local institution
  • Letter on letterhead verifying applicant’s residence address from a charitable organization where you volunteer, your employer, bank, utility company, etc.
  • Utility bill
  • Insurance documents mailed to your address or containing that information.


Arizona is one of the most accessible states to prove your residency. In AZ, you simply need two printed documents with your current Arizona residential address on them. Generally, these should be official documents like bank statements and utility bills. Virtually any form, letter, ID, or other proof of address is considered sufficient if you can also prove your identity.


Arkansas allows most official forms of documentation that contain your name and address. Below is a list of the best options, but others may be available depending on where you apply.

  • Current Lease, Rental Agreement, or Mortgage Statement
  • Tax assessment or receipt for personal (residential) property
  • Any State or Federal tax return that is less than 1 year old
  • Bank Statement from a local financial institution
  • Pay stub or salary statement with your address and employer’s name
  • Utility Bills including Telephone, Cable, Internet Bill, Gas, Water, or Electric
  • Voter Registration must be less than 4 years old
  • Vehicle, Homeowners, or Health Insurance
  • Any medical or dental bills that were mailed to (or contain) your complete address
  • Tuition invoices, records, transcripts, or other official mail from a local college or university
  • You may also use a letter from a bank manager, medical practitioner, accountant, attorney, or employer. It must be printed on formal company letterhead, state that they have known the applicant for 3 years, and confirm your address. This is a particular type of proof of residency letter.


Typically you need at least two of the following documents to prove residency in California. Fortunately, CA has a long and lenient list of options for those seeking to prove residency here.

  • Form CNL107- A change of address form from the post office
  • Form DL 933- No Fee Identification Card Eligibility Verification
  • Original copy of your approved BOE-266 form (Homestead exemption filed with county assessor)
  • Rental or lease agreement, a deed or a title to residential real property, mortgage or tax bill, or a CA residential property tax statement.
  • Letters from women’s shelters or homeless shelters must be on letterhead
  • A letter or affidavit of residency from your employer, a non-profit entity, or a faith-based organization
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) return
  • Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard from county elections officer or California Secretary of State
  • California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) return
  • Residential utility or cell phone bill in your name
  • Medical documents mailed to your home or containing your address
  • Credit card and financial institution paperwork.
  • Court documents
  • CA Certificate of Title or registration for any vehicle or vessel

Insurance documents of almost any type

Any document issued to you by an entity governing any political subdivision of a country or the state and other official government-issued documents must be typed and include the agency and department name. Additionally, it needs to be on official letterhead or contain the state seal.

Employment documents like pay stubs

A foreign school document sealed by the school with a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.

Any school document issued by a U.S. educational institution with the applicant’s date of birth, or resident tuition payment to a CA school


Colorado requires at least two of the following documents, but bringing 3-4 is always a good idea. Moreover, to be considered, your documents must be dated within one year of your application. Always double-check the issue date before collecting your evidence.

  • Lease, a rental contract, or a mortgage
  • Form CNL107, a change of address from USPS
  • Current motor vehicle, renter’s or homeowner’s, insurance policy
  • A computer-generated bill of most types. For example, hospital and credit card bills or utilities.
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Bank statements and pre-printed pay stubs
  • Form DD214
  • First-class mail that is postmarked and addressed to your current residence
  • Report cards and transcripts from accredited schools


In Connecticut, unless otherwise specified, you need all your proofs issued in the last 90 days. Moreover, in addition to clearly showing your name and Connecticut residential address, the forms must be computer generated (printed), and any mail must be postmarked. However, your address on the front can be handwritten.

  • Parents and guardians of minors can prove the residency of a child by providing any two of the following in their (the adult’s) name or one and a current valid ID or License with a Connecticut address.
  • Voter registration card for CT
  • School records showing current enrollment must be official copies
  • A lease or mortgage must clearly show the signatures and be dated within the previous 12-month period
  • Form CNL107- USPS change of address
  • Property or excise tax bill
  • A licensed surveyor’s assessment of your property
  • Car or homeowner insurance, if current and issued in the last 12 months
  • Vehicle registration, if current and valid
  • Motor vehicle loan statement issued in your name
  • Pension or retirement annual benefits summary statement (within 12 months)
  • Social Security Administration paperwork (within 12 months)
  • Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement
  • Printed paystub with employers address
  • Bank statement or transaction showing bank’s name and address.
  • A bill from a credit card company, bank or mortgage company, doctor or hospital, or any utility company is also valid evidence.


Like most states, Delaware requires two proof forms for your address. However, the list of what this state accepts is somewhat limited. You need a combination of the following 10 documents to prove you live in Delaware.

  • USPS change of address confirmation
  • Mail with a forwarding label issued for your current address
  • Non-personal (Official, printed) mail issued in the last 60 days
  • Any rental or home purchase agreement
  • Voter registration for Delaware
  • Utility bills in your name
  • Bank account records
  • Credit card statements
  • Employment records
  • Insurance for vehicles or life insurance statements


Florida offers plenty of options for those who need to prove residency in this state. You can bring any two of the following so long as they have your full name and street address.

  • A residential lease
  • Form DS2019 j-1 status (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor)
  • Deed
  • Mortgage paperwork
  • Mortgage payment booklet
  • Monthly mortgage statement
  • FDLE registration from the local sheriff
  • A Certified Address Form and a letter from a homeless shelter or women’s shelter
  • A Certified Address Form and a letter from a halfway house
  • A utility bill
  • Any utility work order or hook-up paperwork within the last 60 days
  • Home or auto insurance bills or policy information
  • Vehicle payment book
  • Vehicle title or registration
  • Mail from city, county, state, or federal government agencies
  • Mail from financial institutions
  • Your FL voter registration card
  • A current (unexpired) professional license issued by a US government agency
  • W2 or 1099 forms
  • School transcripts for the current year
  • Health card
  • Medical card
  • Selective service card


Georgia categorizes its proof of address documents into categories. We’ve listed them below, briefly describing what qualifies in each case.

  • Mail- Anything from USPS in the last 6 months
  • Household Information- Current or last calendar year only: Mortgages, leases, deeds, military housing, etc. Or a current within the previous 6 months rental agreement or receipt of any residential variety, including extended-stay motels and dorms.
  • Government documents- Anything from the federal, state, or local government mailed or issued to your address.
  • Vehicle Information- Title, insurance, payments, etc.
  • Medical- Bills, health insurance statements, etc.
  • Employer- W2s, paystubs, etc.
  • School- Records, transcripts, and loan paperwork.
  • Utility Bills- Any dated in the last 6 months.
  • Financial Statements – Dated in the past 6 months with account numbers redacted.
  • Other Documents Accepted as Stand-Alone Proof- Letters from halfway houses, shelters, and other housing assistance facilities if on company letterhead, DS-20 (Refugee address verification affidavit), or a Georgia Department of Community Supervision Residence Verification Form.


Hawaii has a rather extensive list of options for residents, but one unique thing in this state is the street address conventions. Some homes in Hawaii have not been issued a USPS designation; in these cases, a PO box address may be acceptable to some agencies. Assume all forms here must be original, current, and valid unless otherwise noted.

  • Driver’s license or ID
  • Mortgage or other proof of home ownership
  • Rental or timeshare agreement for 6 mos or more.
  • A-6 (Tax Clearance Application) must be stamped
  • Mail addressed to the applicant from a government or medical entity within the last 2 months.
  • Property tax assessment form or receipt for taxes paid on residential property
  • Insurance statements, bills, and cards
  • Vehicle title
  • Vehicle registration
  • W2 or 1099 from the previous year
  • Individual taxes for US previous year or Hawaii individual income tax return or HW-2 form within 2 years
  • Medical card from a health agency
  • Utility bill or financial statement less than 2 months old
  • Pay stub or payroll check not more than 6 months old

Additionally, you can use the following if necessary.

  • Current ID card or documents proving that the applicant is receiving State of Hawaii public assistance
  • A letter from the Hawaii State Department of Human Services must be less than 90-days old, indicating you are receiving services.
  • Applicants documenting enrollment as homeless, underage, or in a State or Federal address confidentiality program may need to contact the requesting agency for special directions on completing these forms.


Idaho proof of residency documents typically come with a specific timeframe, but it’s highly variable. For example, transient residents need proof of a stay at a campground, RV park, or hotel within the last 30 days, but property taxes can be from the previous year.

  • Housing agreement like a mortgage, lease, or deed
  • Residency Affidavit statement signed by an adult over 18
  • Certification from a shelter or relief agency
  • Property taxes within the last year
  • Military Leave and Earning Statement (LES)
  • A letter on letterhead from a hotel, RV park, etc. stating you have been in residence more than 30 days
  • Utility bills or account statements include 3/4 statements, but not cell phones.
  • Original court documents
  • School enrollment documents for the current year
  • A vehicle, homeowner’s, or renter’s liability card, binder, or bill from ID carriers only (must be valid, but may be original paper, print, or photocopy of e-document)
  • Account statements from financial institutions
  • Employment verification or paystub with employer info, W2 or 1099 from the current year
  • Medical or insurance provider statement, invoice, or explanation of benefits


In Illinois, you need all documents dated within 90 days of your application unless otherwise specified.

  • Utility bills in your name, including cable tv and cell phones
  • A credit report issued by Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion within the last year
  • Deed
  • Title
  • Mortgage
  • Rental agreement/lease
  • Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance proof
  • Voter Registration
  • Jury Duty Notice
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • Canceled check
  • Any medical claim, bill, or statement of benefits
  • Electronic deposit receipt from work or pay stub
  • A report card, certified transcript, or letter printed on school letterhead is acceptable for students and recent graduates.
  • Official mail from a university or college or a tuition invoice
  • Any correspondence from government agencies that was received via the USPS
  • Retirement and pension statements
  • Social Security SSDI statement, SSI benefits statement, or annual statement
  • Selective Service Card


The state of Indiana generally requires proofs of address to be no more than 60 days old unless otherwise noted here.

  • ID card issued from the Indiana Attorney General’s address confidentiality program (IC 5-26.5)
  • Mortgage, deed, rental agreement, or lease
  • USPS change of address confirmation
  • Property Survey for the land you own
  • Printed pay stub
  • Voter ID
  • Handgun permit for IN
  • Car, homeowners, or renters insurance
  • First Class mail from the state, court, or federal agencies
  • School records
  • W2
  • Utility, medical, or credit card bills
  • Property or excise taxes
  • Social Security Administration or other pension or retirement annual benefit from the last year
  • Bank statement or transaction receipt
  • Medicaid or medicare benefit statement
  • Child support check stub from IDCS
  • Motor vehicle loan payment book.
  • Pension or retirement annual benefit summary


Iowa has many options for proof of address. Bring two of the following with you and ensure they have your full name and address.

  • Iowa DL or ID card (not more than 1 year expired)
  • Voter Registration
  • Lease or mortgage information with both your address and the property owner’s information
  • Application for homestead or military tax credits
  • Real estate tax info
  • Receipt for purchase of Iowa state residential property
  • 1 (or 2 different) documents from a government or federal agency or financial institution documents
  • Mail in your name, including boxes, envelopes, and magazines.
  • Enrollment paperwork for a dependent child in the Iowa school system
  • 1 (or 2 different) utility bill or hookup forms, including telephones and cell phones
  • 1 (or 2 different) certificates of insurance coverage
  • Current vehicle registration in Iowa
  • Pay stub
  • Debit or credit card statement


Kansas has a good-sized list but only accepts certain forms of proof of residency. Unless otherwise noted, all the options here must be current, valid, original, and recent.

  • Lease or rental agreement
  • Deed or mortgage
  • W2 or 1099
  • USPS change of address confirmation
  • Kansas DL or ID renewal postcard
  • Voter ID
  • Educational transcripts or grade cards
  • A Department of Corrections Certificate of Identification
  • Federal, state, city, or county government mail
  • Utility bill dated within 2 months
  • Medical letters or bills, including optometrist’s and dentist’s offices
  • Check stub, or a blank or voided check
  • Financial statements
  • Current vehicle title or registration
  • Bills or policies for life, homeowners, or auto insurance
  • Current professional license by a U.S. agency


In this state, you generally have 61 days for time-sensitive documents. However, in some cases, like taxes and leases, you may be allowed to bring forms up to a year old. You will need 2 forms for most proofs.

  • Title, Deed, Lease, or a notarized letter from the property owner where you live
  • Property tax bill or receipt
  • Home utility bills and statements
  • Driver’s license, state ID, or a notarized letter from a truck driving school
  • Vehicle registration or title
  • Any mail received from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
  • Insurance policies in your name
  • Certified copies of enrollment documents from educational institutions in this state
  • Salary statements, pay slips, and taxes (either state or federal)
  • Any letter postmarked by the USPS that matches your address and has your name on it.

For Married People Only

If your only optional proofs are in your spouse’s name, you may bring these along with a copy of your marriage certificate.


Louisiana is another state that uses broad categories so most applicants can quickly get the information they need.

  • Proofs of Housing- Mortgage, property tax bill, escrow statement, deed, payment coupon, rental lease, homeowners insurance policy or bill, form DS-20 Refugee Address Verification Affidavit, extended stay motel receipts, or letters from assisted living or shelters.
  • Alternate proof of housing can include a parent, spouse, or another adult member of your household who has valid identification.
  • Utility Bills- These can include internet, cell phones, cable or satellite service, etc.
  • Identification- License, Voter ID, or State ID card
  • Financial Statements and Income Taxes- This evidence comes from banks, loans, credit card companies, state and federal tax returns, etc.
  • Employer Verification- letter on company letterhead, paystubs, paychecks, W2s, military orders, 1099 forms, etc
  • Health- Health insurance statements and bills, medical bills, benefits claims and EOB (Explanation of Benefits), Social Security checks and statements, etc.
  • School Records- You may present a transcript, report card, or other enrollment documents such as student loan correspondence.
  • Miscellaneous- Current firearms permit, auto insurance policy, form I-797A or I-797C from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services


In Maine, you have less than a dozen document types to choose from. However, the choices on this list offer most people plenty of options. We recommend bringing 2-3 original copies when submitting applications that require proof of residency.

  • A Contract in Your Name- So long as it has your full name and address, insurance policies, mortgages, leases, and more can fulfill this wide-ranging category.
  • A Utility Bill- These can include cable TV and cell phones.
  • Your W2
  • A Paycheck Stub
  • A Tax Return
  • A Tax Bill
  • Driver’s License or State ID Card
  • Vehicle Title or Registration
  • Conditional Order of Restoration
  • Fishing or Hunting License (Maine Residents Only)
  • A document issued from a government agency such as court papers, Voter ID, and other similar proofs


Maryland accepts most forms of evidence that contain your full legal name and address if they are original and come from an official source. These include, but are not limited to, mail from the government, correspondence, and statements from financial organizations, utility and credit card bills, and insurance cards.


Massachusetts uses a category system and provides examples of some options within each category.

  • Home Renting and Ownership
    • Current lease/mortgage
    • Deed
    • Rental contract
  • Bills Dated within 60 days
    • Credit card
    • Utility bills, including cell phone
    • Medical/Hospital
  • Massachusetts RMV Documents (one only from the following options)
    • RMV-issued correspondence delivered by USPS, dated within 60 days
    • Learner’s permit
    • Valid License
    • ID card
  • Insurance Documents
    • Renter’s insurance
    • Auto insurance
    • Homeowner’s Insurance
  • Government Documents
    • Jury duty summons or court correspondence issued in the last 60 days
    • Excise Tax from the current year
    • Property taxes from this year
    • Medicaid statement less than 60 days old
    • Government-issued mail (1st class only, within 60 days)
    • Professional license with photo issued by MA
    • Valid firearms card
  • Financial Documents
    • Installment or car loan documents
    • Bank statement with images of canceled personal checks (in the last 60 days)
    • Pay stub less than 60 days old
    • W-2 wage with a tax statement from last year
    • Pension, Retirement, or SSA statements
  • School Documents must be for the current year
    • Tuition bill
    • Official Transcript for the current year
    • Official Proof of Enrollment Letter (only if dated within 60 days)
    • The certified school record

Note: Applicants under 18 can also fill out the Alternative Residency Affidavit.


Michigan limits its proof of residency documents to a few practical and widely available options.

  • Lease, rental agreement, mortgage, deed, etc
  • Utility bill or credit card bill generated in the last 90 days (electronic copies okay)
  • Government documents
  • Earnings statement or pay stub
  • Account statement or bill from a financial institution issued within the last 90 days (electronic copies okay)
  • Insurance for vehicles, life, home, or health
  • Michigan report cards or transcripts from high schools, universities, and colleges
  • A current Michigan title and registration for your vehicle

Note: Most organizations have a policy that allows other documents containing your name and address to be accepted with special approval.


Minnesota appears to have one of the most specific standards in the nation. You need your current driver’s license, a credit card or utility statement in your name, or a copy of your income taxes. You may also want to contact the agency that requires your proof of residence to see if they have any additional options.


Like Minnesota, Mississippi offers a concise list of options for residence proof. You must have a lease or purchase agreement, a utility in your name, a bank statement, or a car tag receipt to prove your address. As before, we recommend contacting the requester to find out if they accept alternate forms of evidence.


Missouri offers applicants over 21 a plethora of ways to prove residency. However, if you are 21 or younger in this state, you may need to provide additional documents or parental information if you live with relatives.

  • Real Estate Tax Receipt- For your primary address
  • Mortgage
  • Leasing or other housing documents
  • Your Safe At Home Card or Voter Registration
  • Insurance Policies for your home or car
  • W2s or 1099s from work
  • Pay Check or Government Check
  • A Utility Bill
  • Medical Records and Bills
  • Government Documents and Letters from Government Agencies
  • Address Letters from Homeless Shelters
  • Professional or Driver’s License and License Renewal Postcards
  • Financial Statement, Credit Card, or Bank Statement
  • Educational Transcripts from This Year

Note: If you are under 21, you may also need to present school records. If you have it, you may also submit membership correspondence with well-established programs like the Girl Scouts, or a parent can provide proof of address (for themselves) and a letter stating that you live with them.


The state of Montana groups its acceptable proof of residence options by age. Adults have one set of requirements, youths have additional options, and their parents or guardians may present evidence on their behalf.

Adult or Everyone

Most of the following should be no more than 4 months old, excluding housing paperwork and taxes.

  • Original copies of rental agreements must contain the name and address of the landlord.
  • Mortgage or equity loan papers, including rural addresses.
  • Property taxes
  • Canceled mail addressed to you
  • Utility hook-up orders and bills
  • Homeless applicants can provide statements from social service agencies on company letterhead verifying the applicant’s status and listing the descriptive address given by the applicant, if any.
  • Bank statements
  • Pay stub or payroll check
  • Life or auto insurance policy
  • Certified school records issued in the last 4 months
  • Income tax statements and returns
  • Voter ID
  • Any document on this list (https://rules.mt.gov/gateway/ruleno.asp?RN=23.3.131#:~:text) from the Montana Secretary of State’s website detailing how to prove your identity.

Minors and Adult Children Only

If you live at home, you can provide a written statement from your parents or guardians and a copy of any document on the list above proving their residential address.


In Nebraska, most paperwork has to be recent, within the last 90 days.

  • Licenses; This broad category includes drivers and professional licenses along with hunting and fishing licenses.
  • DMV Renewal Notice
  • Voter ID card
  • Mortgage or leasing information for your primary home.
  • Real estate taxes
  • Personal mail, including packages, magazines, envelopes, and postcards
  • Vehicle registration
  • Insurance for health, life, home, or autos
  • US government-issued documents
  • Financial account statements, bank checks, or deposit slips
  • Earnings statement from employer or pay stub
  • Invoices, correspondence, and receipts containing your full name and address


Nevada is selective about what constitutes valid evidence. You will need original paperwork or certified copies dated no more than two months ago to prove your residence here.

  • Lease or rent receipt
  • Deed, mortgage, or trust paperwork
  • Public utility records
  • If applicable, paperwork issued by the Confidential Address Program (CAP)
  • Tax or property tax records
  • A notarized statement from the owner of your residence that certifies you live there (letter of residency)
  • LES (for military members deployed outside NV)
  • ID card or enrollment documents from NV educational institution
  • Records from temporary lodgings that indicate at least 30 days stay. These can include hotels, motels, campgrounds, RV parks, etc.
  • Credit card statement
  • Bank statement
  • Check stub from employer
  • Benefits documentation from NV public assistance programs
  • Insurance paperwork
  • Documents from state or federal courts
  • Bills and records requiring payment such as medical bills, insurance invoices, etc
  • Voter registration card

New Hampshire

New Hampshire considers you a resident if you live there; this state considers your intentions and actions as evidence. As such, you can prove you have taken steps to establish a permanent domicile here in many ways. Below are a few examples.

You make a town or ward in New Hampshire your principal place of physical presence to the exclusion of all other places. Your actions in New Hampshire reveal your intent to make a place in New Hampshire your domicile/residence. Such efforts include, but are not limited to:

  • Obtaining forms showing you are leasing or purchasing a primary residence
  • Public school enrollment forms for your dependent children
  • Paying resident-only taxes
  • Registering to vote
  • Registering your vehicle

New Jersey

New Jersey only admits a small handful of documents as valid evidence of your address.

  • Original lease, property tax bills, receipts or statements, or a deed for residential property
  • State ID cards, driver’s licenses, or license renewal forms from the Motor Vehicle Commission
  • First class mail if issued from a government agency.
  • Bills for credit cards or utilities that you have received in the last 90 days
  • Credit union account statements for checking and savings accounts only must be issued in the previous 60 days.
  • Bank account statements for checking or savings accounts only must be issued in the previous 60 days.
  • Any official correspondence from the IRS or any state tax office issued in the last year
  • Certified college, university, or high school transcripts from the previous 2 years

For Minors Only

For those under the age of 18, a written and signed statement from a parent or guardian certifying your address is also acceptable evidence of your domicile.

New Mexico

With a few notable exceptions, most NM documentation needs to be recent, within 60 days, except where that is not a practical consideration, such as deeds and enrollment confirmations for the current year. Bills, pay stubs, and other recurring paperwork should all be dated within the last 2 months, and you should expect to bring at least 2 proofs with you.

  • Property purchase agreements, property tax documents, or rental agreements
  • Utility bills include internet and tv services like cable but do not include cellular phones
  • Financial statements, including credit card statements, bank correspondence, and mortgage statements
  • Insurance binders, bills, or cards in your name
  • Pay Stubs
  • New Mexico Medical Assistance Card and benefit award letter
  • New Mexico Public Assistance Card and benefit award letter
  • A letter or other document showing you receive services from a qualified non-profit with 501 (c) (3)
  • Tribal, city, county, or state documents showing residency, such as ID cards and licenses
  • Educational documentation, including report cards, enrollment letters, and transcripts

For Applicants Under 18

You may have additional options or requirements if you are still legally a minor.

  • Membership documentation for participating in an NM religious or sports organization
  • Affidavit of residency from your parent or guardian accompanied by the parent/guardian’s NM Driver’s License/ID Card

New York

New York is lenient about proofs of residency, but you will need two of them. Documents must be printed, issued within the last year, and have your physical street address and name on them. Options include ID cards and licenses, bank statements, pay stubs, and most other official correspondences. You can always check with the specific requester to ensure the documents you have are acceptable, but it’s not difficult to prove you live here.

North Carolina

North Carolina breaks its acceptable proof of residency into the adult and minors categories for easier access.


  • Housing contracts such as deeds and leases
  • Taxes and property taxes
  • Government-issued documents containing your name and address
  • Letter from a homeless shelter or similar facility
  • Voter ID
  • Vehicle registration, insurance policy, or title
  • Preprinted financial statements from banks, credit unions, credit card companies, etc
  • Cable or utility bills
  • Military documents or orders
  • School records from the most recent year

Minors Under 18

  • Hunting or fishing licenses
  • Housing contracts that name you as a minor
  • Medical records
  • Tax records listing you as a dependent
  • Magazine subscriptions
  • Social Security card stub
  • Correspondence from national organizations such as the girl scouts or sports teams
  • A preprinted business letter

North Dakota

North Dakota requires all documents to be current or the most recently issued copy.

  • Shelter Certification
  • Relief Agency Certification
  • Formal Resident Statement from the landlord or another resident
  • Property tax statements
  • Mortgage or deed
  • Lease or another rental document
  • Policy for renter’s or homeowner’s insurance
  • North Dakota Tribal Agency resident certificate
  • Utility bills, including cable and recycling.
  • Vehicle policy or insurance statement
  • Pay stub
  • Statements from financial institutions
  • College or school transcript

Note: Parents in this state can provide proof of residency documents for their minor children


Ohio offers residents an extensive list of options for proving they reside in this state.

  • State-issued ID card, learner’s permit, or driver’s license no more than 6 months expired.
  • BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) issued postcards, correspondence, and official documents such as vehicle titles
  • Proof of home ownership or renter status
  • Ohio Department of Job and Family Services child support statement or account summary
  • Financial institution paperwork such as bills generated in the last 12 months, including installment loans, credit card statements, and mortgage account statements
  • Current or previous year’s taxes for state or federal
  • Life, Health, Renter, Homeowner or vehicle insurance card or policy if current
  • Sales tax statement, business license, or professional license
  • Utilities including propane, gas and heating oil, water, sewer, electricity, telephone, satellite, or cable bills
  • Selective Service registration acknowledgment
  • Concealed weapons permit, annual or multi-year fishing or hunting license
  • Court orders such as mandatory release, parole, and probation
  • Documents from Social Security
  • Certified school records and transcripts
  • Letters from university or college, when signed by an official
  • Letter from the TSA
  • Benefits statement for public assistance

Minors, Married People, and Nursing Home Residents

Some people may have additional requirements, especially if you don’t have much documentation in your name. Spouses and parents of applicants without sufficient documentation can provide their own two valid forms of identity and documented proof of the relationship, such as birth or marriage records. Meanwhile, nursing home patients need a formal statement of residency.


Oklahoma revised its standards in 2020 to reflect new, more stringent requirements for some types of ID and travel documents like passports. Below is the current list of acceptable documents you can use to prove your residency. Unless otherwise noted here, all the proofs here must be current or from the last 12 months.

  • Deed, mortgage, lease, or rental contract
  • Property tax bill or receipt
  • Homeowner’s or renters insurance statement or policy
  • Voter ID
  • Utility bills, including satellite, cable TV, and cellular phones
  • Tax returns (no more than 18 months old)
  • Sales tax, business license, or a professional license
  • Motor vehicle title or registration, including Tribal vehicle titles and registration.
  • Boat title or registration
  • Life or automobile insurance.
  • Installment loans (not from payday loan companies)
  • Military documents with names and addresses on them
  • TWIC card
  • TSA letter
  • Pilots license
  • Concealed Weapons Permit
  • Court orders (certified copies only, must also have your DOB)
  • 1099 or W2
  • Public assistance benefit card dated within 8 months
  • Agriculture Exemption permit card
  • Documents and correspondence from the Social Security Administration or an OK state agency
  • Transcript from OK university, college, tech school, or high school


Any proof of identity and date of birth documents that include your full name and current residence address can also be used to prove residency in Oregon. Additionally, you can use the items below.

  • Rental or lease agreement
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.
  • Mortgage or sale documents for residential property
  • Corporate letter from a company providing corporate housing
  • USPS or other letter delivered by a postal service
  • A letter or receipt from an RV park, hotel, motel, or campground with extended stay services
  • Care or homeless services letter
  • Income tax returns
  • Professional licenses issued by US agencies (such as nursing licenses, etc.)
  • Selective Service card
  • Pay stubs, 1099s and W2s
  • Utility hook-up order
  • Utility account statement
  • Financial records
  • Medical Records
  • Health Benefits Cards
  • Insurance cards or policies
  • Vehicle title or registration
  • Manufactured structure ownership document
  • Oregon voter notification card
  • Educational transcript forms and documents for this year

Note: If you have a roommate or family member with a valid ID, they can make a verbal statement at the DMV (only) to help prove your residence.


Residency documents for Pennsylvania are relatively limited. In this state, you need proof of vehicle ownership, employment, or mail for the most part. Whenever possible, bring only pre-printed, first class mail as evidence, only relying on handwritten letters delivered by post if you have no other option.

  • Lease and mortgage documents
  • Current ID or driver’s license
  • Vehicle registration or auto insurance card
  • Postmarked mail, including boxes and packages, if shipped by USPS, UPS, or FedEx.
  • Pay stub
  • W2
  • Computer-generated utility bills, including cable TV and cell phone service

Rhode Island

Rhode Island expects most proofs of residence to be issued within 30 to 60 days of application. Your full name and address must be included, and all contracts must be currently in effect for the documents to be accepted. Moreover, handwritten contracts like leases may be rejected, so it’s essential to look for documents that are computer generated.

  • RI driver’s license or state ID card
  • Lease agreement containing the landlord’s name and address
  • Homeowner’s, automobile, or renter’s insurance
  • Utility bills, including cable and cell phones
  • Letters from halfway houses and shelters must be on company letterhead
  • Bank statements, personal checks, W2s, and payroll checks
  • Installment loan contracts
  • Pension, retirement, and Social Security statements
  • Firearms permit for RI
  • Jury duty summons

Alternative Proofs for Minors

  • A parent or guardian can bring a Rhode Island driver’s license or identification card for themselves when signing the minor’s application.
  • School documents, including ID cards, diplomas, transcripts, and report cards

South Carolina

In South Carolina, any of the following documents are considered sufficient evidence of address when submitted alongside any other requirements for an application. Unlike most states, you can generally bring just one proof of residency with your name and current address. However, it’s always a good idea to grab a second form if possible in case you need it.,

  • If deployed in SC, military orders or letters from commanding officer on base.
  • Student IDs, report cards, or school records from the current or previous year
  • Certified school transcripts or a diploma if you graduated in the last year
  • A contractor or letter from the Home Schooling Association
  • Official letter from school or district on district letterhead
  • School tuition bills
  • A letter on letterhead from a social welfare organization like a shelter
  • Mortgage, purchase, or rental documents for your SC primary address
  • Mail if delivered with an address change label
  • Letter from parole officer or parolee card
  • Federal or state income taxes or property taxes
  • Insurance documents, including vehicle insurance cards
  • Employment records, pay stubs, employer letter on company letterhead, intent to hire form or payroll stub.
  • Utility bills, but cell phone and satellite are not included
  • Bank statements and correspondence
  • Valid SC weapons permit
  • Social Security checks
  • Medicaid card

South Dakota

South Dakota considers you a resident after just 24 hours, the fastest in the nation. Applicants in this state who wish to prove residency must show two official, printed forms issued within the last year and containing your address. Proofs cannot be photocopied or handwritten and must show your physical address. Any official correspondence will do from utilities and other bills to rental agreements, financial statements, and other similar computer-generated original documents.


Tennessee is another state with two different lists of evidence. You can have two from the first list or one of each document type. Parents, guardians, and spouses can provide evidence in your place if they have proper identification, proof of residence, and proof of the relationship, such as adoption paperwork, birth certificates, or marriage licenses. However, no two documents can come from the same source.

The evidence must be current, active, or the most recent statement.

  • Property sale or lease documents
  • State ID, voter registration card, or driver’s license
  • Utility bills, not including wireless service
  • Vehicle title or registration
  • Insurance for vehicle, health, or life
  • W2, Work ID cards with addresses on them, pay stub, paycheck, or employment verification letter on letterhead or notarized.
  • Taxes or real estate taxes
  • Student photo ID and documentation from the Dean or Bursar Office (for students who live on campus)
  • Bank or financial institution statements
  • An I-551, I-94, or I-766from US Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)


Texas requires all documents submitted to be printed, including printed electronic statements. Proof of residence must have your name and address, but in some cases, you may be allowed to bring two different bills from the same service provider. All invoices, licenses, registrations, etc. must be valid and unexpired.

  • Monthly mortgage statement, mortgage documents, or payment booklet
  • Deed or residential lease agreement
  • Voter or vehicle registration, including boat registration or vehicle and boat titles
  • Renter’s insurance policy
  • Homeowners insurance policy
  • Auto insurance policy
  • Vehicle payment booklet
  • Form DS2019 or another document from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Letter of Texas Residency from TJJD (Texas Juvenile Justice Department)
  • Release or parole documents from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice
  • Voter registration card, medical card, or Selective Service card
  • 1099, 1098, or W2 forms
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Veterans Administration correspondence or US military paperwork indicating residence
  • School transcripts and report cards from Texas universities, colleges, and high schools
  • Utility bills including cell phones, internet, streaming services, cable, and lawn care
  • Concealed handgun license or license to carry
  • Printed statements or mail from financial institutions or government agencies


A driver’s license record is the preferred form of proof of residency in Utah. However, if you do not have your current license, you can provide 2 of the following.

  • Rental contracts and mortgages (current only)
  • A bank statement or credit card bill from a major credit card company
  • Property tax notices
  • Utility bills
  • Your vehicle title
  • Court Documents containing your address and full name
  • School transcripts from Utah.

Note: Although the time limits on these documents are not always specified, Utah’s DMV may hold proofs over 90 days old for further review.


Vermont has a slightly different system for categorizing types of evidence and who can submit them. Your process is the simplest if you get mail at your residential street address. Vermont generally asks for two letters mailed to you from different sources that show they were stamped and delivered.

People who have not been assigned a conventional postal address may use unconventional designations from the USPS or a PO Box. However, anyone who does not get mail at a street address needs two of the following instead.

  • Lease
  • Statement from landlord
  • The tax bill for residential property
  • Homeowners insurance proofs
  • Renters insurance proofs
  • Utility bills

Meanwhile, anyone who doesn’t get mail at a street address but lives with other adults may also need to submit completed Vermont Residency Certifications (aka proof of address letters or residency affidavits).

Minors need a Vermont Residency Certification, a parent or guardian with at least one of the proofs listed above, and evidence of the relationship, such as adoption paperwork or a birth certificate for the applicant showing the parents’ name.

Finally, active duty military personnel must submit an LES or orders to show they live in Vermont.


Virginia offers numerous choices to prove your address. Time limits vary based on the type of proof, but most things either need to be within the previous 2 months or the last year.

  • Deed, Mortgage, Lease, or Rental Agreement
  • State ID, learners permit, or license
  • Change of address confirmation
  • Mail with a forwarding address sticker
  • Real estate taxes
  • Homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
  • Vehicle or life insurance bills only, no policies
  • Certified school transcripts
  • Voter ID
  • W2 or 1099
  • Last year’s income taxes
  • Payroll check stub
  • Original bank statement or canceled check
  • Annual Social Security Statement
  • Utility bills issued during the previous 2 months


Washington requires 2 documents. Most forms of official mail or enrollment are acceptable. You can bring in spouse information if there are no bills, etc., in your name so long as you both have ID and a marriage license. Additionally, most forms of proof can be printouts, such as bank documents and utility bills.

West Virginia

West Virginia requires a specific blend of information. You will need either 2 proofs from the first list or one verification from each list below to prove residency. Certain forms like handwritten leases or recurring bills over 60 days old are not accepted. Married couples can bring their marriage certificate and proof from the other spouse if necessary.

  • Lease or rental agreement (residential)
  • Voter registration card
  • Homeownership documents such as a mortgage, homestead exemption, or deed
  • Tax records or insurance
  • Proof of public assistance
  • Utility bills (only one from each company)
  • Affidavit of West Virginia Residency (for DMV)
  • Vehicle registration, driver’s eligibility certificate
  • W2
  • Weapons permit
  • Letter from employer (Only if the employer offers housing as a benefit)
  • Professional licensxe
  • Selective Service card
  • Dealer temporary registration card for a vehicle, license plate renewal, driver’s license renewal, or auto insurance
  • Bank statement
  • Check stub (printed only)
  • Hunting license
  • Letters from senior or children’s care facilities, rehab centers, homeless shelters, job corps, women shelters, and other similar facilities
  • Social Security benefits letters
  • Letter from the post office if a new physical address is assigned
  • 911 letter
  • College admissions paperwork for in-state residents


Wisconsin divides its list of acceptable residency proofs into what can be printed copies and what must be original.


  • Lease, deed, title, mortgage
  • WI ID cards and licenses
  • Homeless shelter documentation
  • Government correspondence (original or certified copy) can include the following:
    • Concealed carry license
    • Change of address confirmations from the USPS
    • Benefits statements and enrollment confirmation letters from aid programs
  • Department of Corrections letters and documents
  • Employee ID card or Tribal Identification card
  • School photo ID from colleges and universities, certified school records, transcripts or report cards, or college/university enrollment documentation
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status


  • Financial and bank statements
  • Insurance bills or other statements
  • Medical bills
  • Paycheck stubs
  • Cell phone or utility bills
  • Service confirmation letters such as welcome letters from new credit cards and other accounts
  • Current WI fishing or hunting license

Note: A parent or guardian can also bring their Wisconsin license or ID card for anyone under 26, so long as the young person’s current address on record matches theirs.


Wyoming is another accessible state to work with. All documents need to have your name and address. Parents and guardians can provide evidence in place of minors. Generally, this state accepts any mail as proof of residence so long as it is less than 45 days old. However, Amazon packages are unacceptable; mail must come via the United States Postal Service.


Here are the top three most frequently asked questions from people who are looking to prove residency in a US state.

Can I be a resident of two states?

You can (sort of) have dual-state residency by living in a different area than your home for over 185 days. However, you can only have one domicile or legal full-time residence at a time. Even if you own or rent property in another area, only one can be your legal residence. This requirement helps prevent tax and voter fraud.

Can the proof of residency requirements be waived?

Sometimes, the need to prove your address may not apply equally. Although these exceptions are rare, most states have them for specific individuals. Below is an example from Texas. While the standards may vary state-to-state, you can always inquire if you think you have an exemption.
The residency requirement (In Texas) will be waived for individuals who are authorized to use an alternative address under the following circumstances:
Individuals subject to the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) administered by the Attorney General of Texas
Judges or spouses of judges
Active duty military personnel, spouses, and dependents may provide a residency address outside of Texas.
People currently incarcerated in a Texas Department of Criminal Justice facility.
Minors in the Department of Family Protective Services conservatorship
People under 21 years of age in the Department of Family Protective Services paid foster care system.
Applicants who are considered homeless youth as defined by 42 USC Section 11434a

What if I don’t have proof of residency documents?

Sometimes people lack the necessary documentation to prove residency. Writing a proof of residency letter is often the best solution. Most often, this is needed for minors and those who live with family. Guardians and parents are typically permitted to offer proof for minors. Likewise, in many states, a spouse can provide evidence if you both have a valid ID and a marriage certificate showing the connection.

Final Thoughts

The information contained herein does not constitute legal advice. It is meant as a jumping-off point to help people find ways to prove residency in their area. Standards for agencies and entities requiring your proof of address may vary from those listed here. Always double-check which forms of evidence your particular situation requires and adhere to the standards of that requester. Additionally, these standards only apply to the states for which they are listed at the time of this publication. For information on proving your residence in other US territories, you will need to request information locally.

Was this helpful?

How did our templates helped you today?

Opps! What went wrong?

Thank you!

Thank you for your feedback.