To have a good story, having a story map is a must as they act as great mediums to communicate something. They are visual and interactive, thus making them a better option for sharing information about something, be it a place or a topic. Interestingly, you can use them to talk about real-life situations. You can do many things with story maps, like identifying the historical landmarks and restaurants near you. Moreover, you can use them to convey information in your organization, such as policy, involving the target audience, demonstrating benefits, educating the community, and inspiring generations.
What is a story map?
A story map is a graphic representation that has context and information, making it different from other resources. It includes maps, myths, and legends, photographs, videos, and texts. With a story map, a person gets to know the elements of the story by showing the characters, the plot, the conflict, and the solution. Functionalities like swipe and time-sliders help the user to explore the story map. You can create a story map to meet special needs. You can also share other people’s map stories.
Story Map Templates
Elements Of a Story Map Template
There are different elements of a story map that have different roles, and these are;
This is the writer of the story of the creator.
This is the name of the story and is the story’s first impression. Often the title will determine whether someone will read the story.
The author of the story organizes a chain of events in the story; in other words, the plot is the story’s foundation.
This is the time and the geographical place where the story takes place. The setting dictates the mood and of the story.
5. Character bible
It includes everything you need to know about a character, for example, their name, age, height, history, personality, and motivations
This is the disagreement between two rival characters in the story and brings about crucial tension in the story.
This is the part of a story where the main problem is solved or worked out between rivals. This is typically where the story comes to an end.
The process of making a good story map
Creating a good story map might be hectic, especially if it is your first time creating one from scratch. However, here’s an overview of the process to make your work easier.
Step 1. Choose your topic
A good story has to convey a meaningful message, so you need to choose an interesting topic. Coming up with something new is always fun and easy when you do it often. These maps are sourced from different people, thus contain different topics are covered. You can also find ideas and inspiration from different sites that will help you find your way through.
Step 2. Choose a template for your map
Using a template is very helpful in using an already existing file of starting your own from scratch. A template will give your map a structure that will be easy for you to follow. This makes your work easy and also saves you time. Nonetheless, you download a complete story map for free, which will make your task very easy.
Step 3. Create your map
There are two ways of creating a story map. You can create it using an app or simply create using a template on a word processing software. There are several map-building apps that you can use. The apps are user-friendly and do not require you to have any coding skills to use them. The best part is that you can use them online without installing them on your device.
The creation of story maps has been made easier for you by the availability of tutorials. You can actually learn to create your own story map exactly how you would like it to be. Ensure it is interesting as it can be so that all the story elements you have read. When ready, be sure to move to the next process.
Step 4. Proofread your map
Go through your work before submitting it to ensure it is correct and interesting. Take time to check from the start to the end. This will save you from grammatical errors. Proofreading helps you to judge if your story map is good enough.
Tips for making a good story map
When creating a good story map, you should consider how you want the map template to be. These are some tips that will help you come up with a good story map:
- Choose the topic of the story. A certain message is being communicated in the storytelling process, and ensure you are concise to communicate well. Choose a topic wisely and try to break it down. Consequently, you can start the next step, which is planning your map’s content.
- Plan your data strategy and execute it. Planning your data strategy can seem hectic at first, but the opposite is actually true. All you have to do is to decide the elements in which you are going to involve. Pick out the most relevant information to avoid complicating your map. To simplify the process, you may create an outline for the story map and use it as your reference and structure.
- Try out different templates. For a better outcome, try using different templates for different stories. If you have a story map and want to take your reader through different places, it is better to use a map tour template. This way, your reader can have a guided story that includes photos and other maps.
- Maintain simplicity. The more simple it is, the easier it is for your reader to understand your story map template. Avoid complicating it by limiting what you include in the map to only relevant elements.
- Personalize your story map. Make your story map more real by incorporating actual multimedia. Using images of real objects and humans will make it more relatable. Have a formal ending to you’re your story map. You may use a closing indicator such as speech or slide. Don’t miss acknowledging image sources.
- Dress up your story map. For your story to be interesting and fun to read, it is good to spice it up with a relevant color theme. If it is a digital map, using transition methods might be useful. Remember always to match your design with the topic.
- Think outside of the box. For your story map to stand out from the others, you ought to bring out your creativity. You might use inspiration, gather ideas from other templates, and manipulate them to bring about a unique story map. Own your creativity and have fun while creating your story map.
Storytelling is one of the common ways in which people communicate and share ideas and knowledge. It can be used to pass information from one party to another. A story map is an interesting way to share your stories and a powerful tool when sharing geographical places.
While creating your story map, consider the important elements and make it easy to read to your reader. Avoid complicating it and give out your best.