It is always a good idea to resign in person; however, sometimes it is difficult and therefore, the best scenario would be writing a formal resignation email. It does not matter whether an individual writing the formal resignation is a teacher, engineer, or of any other profession but reading a sample would be of great assistance.
Through a sample, an individual would be able to create a professional resignation email message by following the right format.
Resignation Email Format
Subject Line for email: Resignation – Insert Name of Employee here
Dear Mr/Ms (Insert Last Name of the employer here),
In this paragraph state that you are resigning from this job and include the date from which the resignation would be effective. In this paragraph, you can also explain the reason for resigning but it would be wise to keep it brief. Do not mention the details of the new job. However, when you are changing the job for personal reasons or family circumstances, you can mention here briefly.
In this paragraph, you can thank the employer for all they have taught you; however, this is optional.
In the third paragraph, if you wish you can offer to train the new employee who would replace you. But, again this would be totally your choice.
This would be the final paragraph and if you prefer to stay in touch with your former employer try to give non-work contact information. It would be wise to stay in touch with the former boss.
Insert your name here
Resignation Email Message Example for Higher Studies
With due respect, I would like to say that I got admission in XYZ College and therefore, I am resigning from the current position as the editor of ABC Magazine.
It was an honor to learn the content writing techniques under your supervision. However, I may not be able to take out enough time from my tough schedule.
My contact number would be 999-999-999 and I would be using the email@example.com email address.
Resignation Email Message Example for Personal Reasons
I am writing this email to inform you that I am resigning from my position here as Sales Manager. I will not be able to continue the job due to some personal reasons. My last day at the job would be September 25.
I would like to thank you for all the opportunities. I have learned a lot from this company and my fellow colleagues. I would especially like to express my gratitude to you, as you had been an amazing mentor.
Let me know if I can train the new employee. You can always reach me at 555-555-555.
Resignation Email Sample for Family Reasons
I write to inform you that my elder sister is getting married back home and I will not be able to continue in my position as a Marketing Manager. I have to arrange for the wedding ceremony and being the sole breadwinner of the house I have to find employment back home.
It had been an honor to be a part of your organization and I have learned a lot from you.
You can always reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resignation Email Message Example for no Reason
I am writing this email to inform you that I am resigning from my position as a staff writer. My last at the job would be September 25.
It was a great pleasure to work with the editors and I have learned a lot from this job. You can always contact me at 555-555-555
Hence, anyone who plans to leave their job and the circumstances are such that it is not possible to resign in person it would be wise to follow the samples for creating the professional email for resignation.
More Resignation Email / Letter Examples
Tips for Writing a Resignation Email / Letter
- Maintain Positive Relationship with Employer: It is important to leave on good terms and for that purpose try to give at least a two weeks’ notice to the employer before quitting. However, if that is not possible then it would be wise to give the employer as much time as possible.
- The subject should be Clear: The subject of the email should be clear and to the point. It would be better to write as Resignation- Name of Employer. Writing in this manner would let the employer know about the content of the email in advance.
- Mention Date of Leaving: In the content of the email do not forget to mention the date of leaving the job. By mentioning the date on the email, the employer would get an idea when the employer is actually planning to leave.
- Brief Explanation: It would be wise not to give too much detail into the body of the email. It would be better to mention a brief explanation of the reason for leaving the job. Sometimes the reason for leaving the job is the change in circumstances of person’s family, career change, or there is a possibility that the individual writing the email could be switching the job and thus, it would be wise not to go in details or give broader explanations.
- Mention Contact Information: If the person writing the email wants to stay in touch with the employer, it would be wise to mention the contact information.
- Express Gratitude and Offer to train new employee: It would be wise to express gratitude and offer the employer for training the new employee that would be in replacement of the individual writing the email. It is always better to leave in good terms as mentioned previously as well.
- Check grammar and edit: Before finally hitting send, it would be wise to check the content of the email. Check for any grammar or spelling mistakes. Edit it to make it look perfect.