A request for approval letter is a formal letter written to the person in charge, asking him or her to approve a request that was made earlier. When it comes to the format and all the requirements of the letter, some people might experience some difficulties, that is why it is advisable to use a sample request letter for approval to enable you to indicate everything that is needed in the letter, and this might increase your chances of approval.
Guide, format, and approval request letter samples:
How to Write a Request for Approval Letter
- Select the preferred mode of contact. You have to start by selecting your preferred way (ex. letter, message, phone call, email, etc.) of contacting your supervisor or line manager. Your preferred method has mainly to be in line with the means of communication he/she prefers using.
- Address the recipient appropriately. As you set out, you have to address the recipient adequately. Use kind and respectful terms like ‘Sir,’ ‘Madam,’ ‘Mr.,’ and so on. That is to show some respect and to establish a reasonable connection between you and the reader. It also increases your chances of receiving your wish.
- State what you need. Now get to the core of the letter. Here, you have to state what you exactly want. Remember, wishes come in various shades and forms. You must narrow down to the specific request you would like to put across explicitly. Use precise words to hack away any confusion.
- Justify why you need it. To be able to stand a better chance of having your way, you should justify precisely why you need this approval. Give reasons and support your claim with relevant facts and data.
- Explain the significance of their intervention. Having justified why you badly need the opportunity; you should now explain the importance of their response. Tell them basically why they ought to intervene and how their lack of intervention might impact on your success and opportunity overall.
- Demonstrate your enthusiasm for their intervention. It is not enough to explain why he/she should intervene in your situation. It also pays to go a step ahead and demonstrate to them just how eager you are to receive their intervention. You may dangle some goodies or even prove to them that they too stand to gain in some way should the project sail through.
- Round up your message. As with any other writing, round up your letter by basically summarizing the main contents. At this stage, you might also want to provide the ultimatums within which the recipient has to respond. That is to give them the preparation they need to respond to your request promptly.
- Close the letter. Close the message with “sincerely, your full name, and a few contact options (ex. phone number, 2nd phone number, email address, mailing address, etc.).” so it’ll be easy for the reader to contact you in any suitable way.
(Name of the recipient)
(Address) – (State and ZIP Code)
(Subject: Should summarize the intent of the letter and be in bold.)
Dear (the name of your recipient)
I am writing this letter to request for approval for (mention you’re the approval that you need.)
In this paragraph, explain in detail what your approval is and also explain why this approval is essential to you, be it a work project approval or a thesis sample approval.
Now appreciate him or her for his/her time and express the intention of expecting a response. Include your telephone number and a few more contact options so that it can be easier for them to contact you.
Types of Request for Approval Letter
Request for Approval Letter of Project
This is the letter that you draft and send out to the relevant authorities to ask them to give you the green light to pursue a given project. It stipulates the project at hand and the dates wherein the project has to be carried out. Other than that, it also:
- Demonstrates the benefits of the project
- Seeks approval from the relevant authorities
- Explains how important the recipient is to the project
- Reveals the budget against which the project is to run
- Gives the duration of the entire project
Sample Request Letter for Approval of Project
12 February 2031
Project Manager – IT Department
123 Main Street
San Francisco, LA 21022
Re: Request for Approval of Halifax Project
Dear Mrs. Tennis,
I am writing to request approval for Project Halifax, which is set to begin on 23 February 2031. As mentioned in my previous letter, Halifax is a multi-company project aimed at providing transport services to loyal customers from out of state. If successful, the program is projected to bring profits of over 35 percent of the investment costs.
A recent survey of our clientele showed that out-of-state clients shy away from purchasing our products because they have no way to see them before the sale. At the current rate, project Halifax will run on a budget of $175,000, which we can earn back with interest in 3 months of implementation.
Your approval will go a long way in making Halifax a success.
Request Letter for Approval of Proposal
Proposals are plans or suggestions that are typically put forward for others to consider and act upon. Since proposals are not final, they nonetheless require a go-ahead before the same may be drafted, planned, and implemented. A letter to that effect has to demonstrate these pieces of information:
- The nature of the proposal
- Its budget and other financial constraints
- The potential benefits it ordinarily brings along
- How suited it is to the community
- The scope and the framework of the proposal
Sample Request Letter for Approval of Proposal
12 February 2031
212 Jolly Road
Reedsport, NY 10290
Re: Request for Approval of Green Power Proposal
Dear Ms. Thatcher,
I am writing to follow up on the meeting we had on 10 February to discuss my Green Power proposal. As I mentioned during our meeting, I am proposing that Greenfield companies transition into using green energy for its plants and offices.
Besides being good for the environment, the adoption of green energy will help cut our power costs by up to 35 percent. While installation may set us back $200,000, it will increase our profits by $40 percent in no less than 6 months of implementation. I have attached my research report herein for your proposal.
According to a customer survey we recently did, which is also attached, 69 percent of our clients will be ‘more than willing’ to recommend our services to other people if we adopt green energy.
I look forward to hearing from you on this matter soon.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Request Letter for Approval of Purchase
Some purchases are too vast and sensitive to be made just like that. You have to make a formal requisition to be able to access them. This letter is mainly furnished to the heads of departments and line managers. It spells out the following terms:
- The exact product to be purchased
- The actual cost of the product
- Its technical specifications, if applicable
- The place or dealer from which it is to be bought
- The applicable ultimatums, timelines, and dates
Sample Request Letter for Approval of Purchase
12 February 2031
Yule Systems Technology
700 Yule Street
Austin, TX 12000
Re: Request for Approval of New Generator Purchase
Dear Mr. Henley,
This is a formal request for approval to purchase a new generator for the 5th floor of the Yule Systems Technology building. Following yesterday’s storm, the power in the entire building was knocked out, forcing all floors to rely on the said generator. As a result of the surge, the terminals short-circuited, and the generator is beyond repair.
The 5th-floor generator is crucial to our central heating system. It circulates heat to the entire building in a power outage, which means it is a sophisticated machine. Buying a new one will come with the following expenses:
• Generator – $10,000
• Installation – $2,500
• Transport expenses – $1,000
I have already spoken to Green Solutions Ltd who promise to deliver and install the generator at the mentioned prices. We stand to get 12 percent off the total cost if we make a cash payment by 16 February.
I look forward to hearing from you on this matter.
Request Letter for Approval of Expenses
Other than purchases, some expenses also have to be approved before the same may take effect. These are larger expenses that often take up excessively high costs of money to meet. A request email or letter for approval of additional expenses is mainly drafted and sent out to the procurement office. It spells out:
- The precise nature of the expense involved
- The actual amount of money that the expense entails or costs
- A breakdown of how the expense was arrived at
- How the money is to be remitted
- Associated timelines and deadlines
Sample Request for Approval Letter of Expenses
12 February 2031
123 Main Street
San Francisco, LA 21022
Re: Request for Approval of Expenses
Dear Mr. Geillis,
I am writing in relation to Project 12ABC/2031, which aims at installing a Macro Processor to replace our current office system. As we mark our third week on the project, I am happy to report that my team has procured a distributor and made the necessary payments. However, we need to hire professional technicians to set up the Macro Processor.
The need for professional technicians was not reflected in our original budget, making it an additional cost. I am writing to request approval to add this expense to our project budget, as it is crucial to the completion of installation. If approved, the total of $15,000 will be used as follows:
• $9,000 – Labor fees
• $4,000 – Installation package and tools
• $1,000 – Transport costs for technicians to and from the site
While we could install the Macro Processor ourselves, our technicians are not trained to handle this particular system. Any misstep on their part, even a minor one, could cost us up to $40,000 in repairs.
I have attached the fact sheet and sales quote from the installation company for your perusal. Please get back to me before 15 February so we can take advantage of the 15 percent reduction offer.
Request for Approval Letter of Payment
Just like expenses have to be approved, so do some kinds of payments. A ‘request for approval letter of payment’ is often drafted and sent out to the person who wields the authority to incur expenditure. Such a letter will demonstrate why a given sum of money has to be paid out. It also shows:
- The amounts involved
- The exact good or service for which the money is demanded
- How the payments are to be made
- The deadlines or timelines within which the payments have to be remitted
- Any penalties for defaults or late payments if applicable
Sample Request Letter for Approval of Payment
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip Code
Respected Mr. /Ms. Last Name:
Re: Request for Approval Letter of Payment
We ordered goods worth _ (specify the amount) a fortnight ago. As per the contract we entered with the supplier, we were to remit the dues within a __ (state the duration). I draft this letter to you to authorize the release of the funds.
Attached to the letter is the invoice from the manufacturer and the bank account details wherein the money is to be remitted.
Kindly get to me via _ (telephone contacts) if there could be the need for any clarification.
I am waiting,
Signature (hard copy letter)
Request Letter for Approval of Construction
Construction projects are ordinarily too large to be tackled just like that. Moreover, they are often governed and overseen by many regulatory regimes. Before the accomplishments of these constructions, letters to that effect have to be drafted. Such a letter spells out:
- The nature of the construction work
- The scope and the entire duration of the construction work
- The actual cost of the work
- The phases into which the project is broken
- Where the work is to take place
Sample Request Letter for Approval of Construction
7 Boyden Ln,
MA 01342, United States
Head of Construction Department,
Deerfield City Commission,
8 Conway St,
MA 01373, United States
RE: Request for Approval Letter of Construction
I draft this letter to seek your approval to go ahead with constructing a chapel at Deerfield Academy. The work is to take roughly six weeks commencing from May 4th, 2020.
We have taken every step to abide by the rules and regulations that govern such tasks. Among these are putting on the necessary protective gear, cordoning the construction site, labeling the project clearly, and so on.
We urge you to get to us promptly as the proposed date for commencement is just around the corner. Kindly reach me, the project manager on 954-480-4263.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
JoeyTribbiani at docformats dot com
Request for Approval Example
Ammendment Change Request Letter for Approval
Suspension Request Approval Letter
Request for Overtime Approval
This is a formal letter written by an employee to his or her boss to request permission to be allowed to work overtime, this letter can also be written to request your overtime hours to be reduced, this will help the employee to air his or her views in a more understandable and professional manner to his boss.
Sample Letter for Budget Request
A formal letter written to a company that will be funding your business or event, with the intention of making them understand and approve your budget, the entire budget of the event or business is included in the letter. This letter will enable your donors or sponsors to know how much your budget costs and the kind of business or event they are to fund.
Request for Approval Template
Request to Attend Approval Letter Sample
Request for Approval in change of Organizational Structure
Purchasing Approval Request For Purchasing Goods
Request for Approval Letter Sample
Things to keep in mind
- The letter should be formally written because it is an official letter.
- Be specific; your request should be straight to the point; this will enable the person in charge to feel comfortable when approving your project.
- Explain what that approval is for and why you need that approval.
- End the letter in a cordial manner and show that you are expecting a response.
Follow these steps to politely ask for approval:
• Choose your contact method
• Address the recipient professionally
• Start with what you need
• Explain why you need it
• Tell them why they should care
• Show your enthusiasm for their response
• Conclude your message
YES, you should! This is a way of seeing to it that the recipient indeed received your letter and is actually working on it. Moreover, it also finds out whether there is indeed the need to furnish any clarifications that might also have a hand on whether or not the approval may be issued.
Paragraph one: You should address the reason for writing that letter; it should also describe that workshop and mention the program’s subject. Indicate the organization, company or an individual that is offering the program.
If there are any fees or expenses connected to this workshop then it should be mentioned in the letter and indicate whether you will pay it or need assistance from your company.
Paragraph two: If the program relates to your work then mention how attending that workshop is an advantage for that company, explain how participating in this program will benefit the company. If the program takes more of your time away from work, then you should clearly explain in the letter how work will be done while you are away.
Paragraph three: Show gratitude and mention that you are willing to discuss that program in detail with your boss, at their own convenient time.
Sample request letter for approval to attend seminar / workshop/ conference
State, Zip Code
State, Zip Code
RE: Approval to attend (seminar/workshop/conference)
Dear (Name of your Employer),
This is a formal request for you to consider permitting me to take four working days from (mention the starting date and ending date) to attend a workshop for (the subject of the program or project). Mention the organization that is offering the workshop; the seminar costs $30 dollars which I can manage to pay.
Explain how attending this workshop will be of great benefit to the company and your carrier. Explain how your work in the company will be delegated in case the seminar takes a lot of your time out of work.
Thank them for considering your request and state that you are willing to discuss that program in detail with your boss or employer, also leave your telephone number.
Your printed name
Your phone num 1
Your phone num 2
Your Email Address
A request for an approval letter is essential in so many ways. Here below, we delineate and explain some of the most common benefits that come along with the use of these request for approval letters:
• Bolsters Understanding between Parties – For any project to be accomplished, many people are usually involved and are required to play their parts. This request for approval bolsters the understanding between the parties involved. In this way, it makes the parties work smoothly.
• Hastens the Accomplishments of Tasks – With proper synergy between the parties involved in the execution of the project comes faster accomplishments of the tasks at hand. It is unlikely that the time might be lost in the process, and that also leads to reduced wastage of funds altogether.
• Provides Proof for the Go-ahead – A project needs approval from various quarters before the same shall take effect. The letter provides the proof, which in turn clears the air as to whether the project is legitimate or not. Such evidence also goes a long way in instilling confidence in the developers.
• Shows Respect – Engaging in a task before or without the approval of the various line managers is a sign of disrespect. That in itself also goes a long way in compromising the credibility of the project overall. Obtaining this approval is a sure way of earning some respect from the quarters concerned.
• Dispels any Doubts – The approval also contains the details of the project with regards to scope and viability thereof. Thus, it works to dispel any doubt that the various parties might have as regards its significance and wellbeing. That again bolsters the confidence of the concerned parties.