If you own a car, then you know the importance of keeping it in good shape. Research has shown that up to 40% of road accidents can be prevented if motorists check and maintain their vehicles on time as recommended by the manufacturer. Unfortunately, a majority of motorists forget to service their vehicles on time mainly because of their busy lifestyle. That is why the maintenance log was designed.
So, what exactly is a maintenance log, how many types of maintenance logs are available, and why should you get yourself one? This article holds everything you need to know about a maintenance log.
What is a vehicle maintenance log?
A car maintenance log is a document used to ensure a vehicle receive routine checkup and maintenance on time as required. It contains a historical record of the condition of the vehicle and repair or maintenance work that needs to be done.
A car maintenance log is beneficial to all motorists, from large commercial operators to those who own personal cars. It is a crucial document that ensures the vehicle is well maintained and safe for both passengers and other motorists. This crucial document contains a written record of all important data about the car’s condition, including car performance, testing, scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance, and service visits performed.
Vehicle Maintenance Log Templates & Examples
Why should you keep a vehicle repair or maintenance log?
A car maintenance log is an important document that every car owner should have. Below are the reasons why you should keep a maintenance log.
- A car maintenance log will let you know if something has broken down and whether it is still under warranty
- A car maintenance log will help you get value for your money by helping you compare prices charged by various car dealers. You will know which shop provides the quality services you are looking for but at the best price.
- It provides detailed information about the cost of your vehicle repair for the entire year. This is important because it enables you to know how much you are likely to spend the following year and budget accordingly.
- A detailed car maintenance log can help you sell your car quickly and at a higher price. Most car buyers prefer vehicles that have detailed maintenance logs because it is a sign that the car is well maintained, thus less likely to experience mechanical problems soon.
- A car maintenance log will help you know the amount of oil that your car is consuming between oil changes.
- It helps you know when various maintenance tasks need to be done. This is important because it prevents you from doing certain repairs early or late. Performing maintenance at the right time guarantees good performance and also helps to save your money.
- It will help you know which brands sell quality spare parts and which ones don’t.
Types of vehicles maintenance logs
- Commercial vehicle maintenance log- designed for commercial vehicles like busses, trucks, and more
- Emergency vehicle maintenance log- designed for emergency vehicles like ambulance
- Firetruck maintenance log- designed for fire trucks
- Daily vehicle maintenance log- designed for vehicles that need daily maintenance
- Weekly vehicle maintenance log- designed for cars that need weekly maintenance
Essential elements of a vehicle maintenance log
If you are planning to create a vehicle maintenance log for your car, below are crucial elements it should contain.
- Car model
- Brakes record
- Suspension system record
- The general state of the tire and tire pressure
- Oil filter record
- Battery record
Other crucial components to include on your car maintenance log include:
- The type of maintenance required
- Price estimate of maintenance required
- The location where the car maintenance will be done
- Parts of the vehicle that needs to be changed
Tips for keeping a vehicle maintenance log
- Go old school by keeping your car maintenance record on a notebook. Buy a notebook that will last for the entire lifetime of your car. You can also go digital by using apps like vehicle logbook to record and keep your car’s maintenance record.
- Record the date every time you add gas to your vehicle. Crucial information to record includes the amount of gas added and the car’s mileage. This information will help you track the car’s performance over time.
- When your car develops a mechanical problem, write down the issue and the possible cause of the problem. This will help your mechanic diagnose and solve the problem quickly.
- Record all details of your car in case you get involved in an accident. Record what caused the accident and parts that were damaged.
- Every time the oil gets changed, record the type of oil used and where it was done
- Set reminders on when air filter and brakes need to be changed or inspected.
- Record the type of tire installed in your car and set remainder on when to check for air pressure and perform tire rotation.
A car maintenance log is a crucial document that every car owner needs to have. It helps ensure that your vehicle is in good condition, thus keeping the driver, passengers, and other motorists safe. It also helps to save maintenance costs and increases the vehicle’s value. When creating a maintenance log for your car, make sure you include all elements listed above.