A leave request letter is a document an employee writes to their employer to ask for days off to go for a vacation or attend to important family issues. Every employee is entitled to leave each year besides days off. An employee can plan to use this time to attend important family events such as weddings. In the letter, one must indicate the reason for the leave and how long they’ll be away.
You must use the proper format and words to ask for leave or else your employer will deny you leave. If not sure of how to write the letter, it’s essential to refer to templates or samples.
(Insert Name of Employee Here)
(Insert Address of Employee Here)
(Insert City, State, and Zip Code Here)
(Leave a 1-line gap)
(Insert Name of Supervisor Here)
(Insert Name of Company Here)
(Insert Address of Company Here)
(Insert City, State, and Zip Code)
(Leave 1-line gap)
Re: Request for _____ week/month vacation
(Leave 1-line gap)
With due respect, it is to state that I would like to request for one week vacation from (insert date here) to (insert date here). I will be back at the job on (Insert date here). My sister-in-law is getting married, therefore; my wife and I are planning a week’s vacation to attend the ceremony.
I have asked the team members if they would be comfortable in my absence working on the XYZ project and they have agreed. I would submit all the essential tasks before the leaving date.
If there are any questions or any concern, you can reach me at 555-555-555 and while on vacation; I will be constantly checking my email. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org during vacations.
Please let me know if my vacation request is approved, so I can book the flights and tickets accordingly. Thank you so much for the patience and consideration of my request.
Signature of Employee
Name of Employee in Print form
List of enclosures
Requesting a Leave for Marriage from Your Employer
- Contact Your Employer as Soon as Possible. As soon as you’ve made your wedding plans and are certain of the time, you’ll need for both the wedding ceremony and honeymoon, then contact your employer immediately. While you can just verbally inform your employer, that’s not such a good idea. After all, people forget things or change their minds, plus you need something to place in your employee file.
As such, it’s smart to compose a letter with all the particulars, sign and date it. Make a copy for yourself to keep at home and make a copy for the Human Resources department as well. Also, remember to glance at your employee handbook if your company has one, as they may have protocol in place already, for such a leave.
- Create a Plan of Action with Your Colleagues. Take this opportunity to make yourself shine. By taking the initiative of contacting colleagues and arranging how your responsibilities will be taken care of in your absence, you are showing your employer that you are a person of integrity, that you take the initiative when need be. Also, don’t forget to mention in the letter that you’ve given each colleague your contact information in case they need to get in touch with you. The same goes if you’ve contacted the HR department and requested an agency temp, or contractor to handle your duties while away.
- Use the Proper Tone. Since your employer is not forced by federal or state law to give you a leave for marriage, you have to ensure the tone of your letter is both business formal, and apologetic. Let your employer know that you are aware that the time you’re requesting off can increase the workload of your fellow colleagues in the department. State that you are cognizant of this and will do your best to make up for any inconvenience which your leave caused.
Sample Leave Request for Marriage Letter
Dear Ms. Gibbons,
This letter is in reference to my upcoming marriage to Anton MarQuay. I am requesting a leave of absence which will include my wedding day and honeymoon. All details have been planned out, and are set in stone, with the dates being Friday, March 13, 2022 to Monday, March 23, 2022.
I have already taken the liberty of contacting my clients and alerting them to the leave due to marriage. They replied positively, congratulated me on my upcoming nuptials, and stated that they have no problem with the leave. Also, I gave all my client files to my personal assistant, Marge, who will maintain contact with me during my leave.
Thank you for your kind attention to the above matter. I eagerly await your reply. I am including my contact information as an attachment in case you require further information regarding the request for leave for marriage.
Sheila M. Parker
Requesting a Leave for Marriage from School or University
Requesting a Leave for Marriage from a school or university is a bit easier than requesting one from your employer. Educational institutions usually have forms to fill out. These forms can be obtained in your school’s admissions office or from its website. If you are an international student, it may be prudent for you to take the form to a counselor’s office, to ensure that your time requested does not conflict with the requirements of your VISA. While a leave of absence letter from your university is not required, it can be helpful. The purpose of the letter is to offer support for your request.
Sample Request a Leave for Marriage from School for University
Dear Mr. Morton,
My name is Kelly Meyers, student ID 4638281, and I’m currently attending your university in order to obtain a degree in fashion. This letter is to inform you that I will be getting married soon and would like to request a leave of absence for marriage. At the time of this writing, I am caught up on all my studies, and have notified each professor of my upcoming nuptials. They are confident that I will have no trouble catching up.
I have already filled out the required documentation. I respectfully request that my desire to have March 12 to the 23rd off be granted. I have attached a file wherein I’ve included my contact information; in case you feel you need to get in contact with me to discuss the matter further.
Sample Vacation Leave Request Letter for my Marriage
I am glad to bring this to your attention that I am getting married on (Insert Date Here). I will be sending you a formal invitation shortly, but I would like to take a vacation from (Insert date here) to (Insert date here) for necessary arrangements.
I have completed all the relevant tasks and have already submitted them to the team leader. Kindly grant me leave for the above-mentioned dates.
Thank you so much and please attend my wedding.
For brother’s marriage
With due respect it is to inform you that my brother is getting married on (Insert date here); I would like to visit my home country for attending the ceremony. Therefore, it is a request to grant me leave from (insert date here) to (insert date here).
For daughter’s marriage
With due respect it is to state that my daughter’s wedding is fixed on (insert date of the wedding here); I have to make the necessary arrangements for the wedding. I plan to take some time off from work, as there is no other helping hand in the family. She is my only daughter and her mother is already working hard for event planning.
Kindly grant me leave from (insert date here) to (insert date here). I will be back on work on (insert date here). I have already completed the required tasks for this month and looking forward to the vacation.
Please accept the request for vacation and I am sending you a formal invitation to attend the wedding.
For sister’s marriage
With due respect it is to say that my youngest sister is getting married on (insert date here); I am planning to attend the ceremony from (insert date here) to (insert date here). It is a special time for us and we really want to spend some time together before her wedding. Kindly grant me leave for a month.
Please accept my request and I will shortly be sending you a formal invitation letter to attend the ceremony. Thanking you,
Leave application for own marriage
May 2, 2019
Human resource manager
Starlight Cleaning Service
2000 Lone Star Dr,
Dallas, TX 75212
Dear Sir/ Madam,
I’m happy to inform you my wedding will be on May 20, 2019. In this respect, I request for leave from May 7, 2019, to June 10, 2019. You’ll receive a formal invitation in due time to grace the occasion in due time.
In the meantime grant me leave to go ahead with the relevant preparations for this great day.
I will hand over any pending work to my assistant before leaving for the vacation.
And please remember to attend the wedding.
Leave application for marriage anniversary
March 26, 2019
The Managing Director
Washington National Primates Research Center
150 Nickerson St # 305
Seattle, WA, 98109
RE: Leave for my 15th Marriage anniversary
Dear Mr. Silverstein,
Allow me to inform you that tomorrow will be my 15th wedding anniversary. I request a day off to celebrate this special day with my wife and children.
I have made relevant arrangements with my colleagues to ensure a smooth flow of work in the department.
I’m thanking you for the cooperation.
Leave application to school for a cousin’s marriage
The Bush School
3400 Harrison St
Seattle, WA 98112
March 29, 2019
The Class Teacher
The Bush School
Sub: Leave request to attend my cousin’s wedding
I write this letter to request for leave to attend my cousin’s wedding on April 3, 2019. Please grant me leave on 3rd and 4th April to attend this family occasion.
Thank you for your consideration.
Leave request letter to work for cousin’s marriage
May 10, 2019
2423 1st Ave
Seattle, WA 98121
Sub: Leave request to attend a wedding ceremony
Allow me to request for 3 days leave to attend my cousin’s wedding this coming weekend.
In this respect, I request for leave from May 15th to May 17th, 2019.
Thank you for your understanding.
Leave application to attend a marriage (by a student)
May 14, 2019
Amazing Grace Christian School
10056 Renton Ave S,
Seattle, WA 98178
I’m Rogers Phineas a grade 8 student. Please grant me leave for four days from May 16th to May 19th, 2019 to attend my cousin’s wedding in Chicago.
I’ll take makeup classes once back to cover the lessons I’ll miss during this period.
Leave application to attend a marriage (by a parent)
June 4, 2019
9725 3rd Ave NE # 125
Seattle, WA 98115
Sub: Leave request for my son
Sir, I’m the parent to James Victorious a grade 4, student in your school. As you are aware family events are important in solidifying family ties. I write this letter to request for 2 days leave for my son to attend his uncle’s wedding.
Please grant James leave on June 6th and 7th.
I appreciate your cooperation.
Sample Letters / Applications (Word Templates)
Tips for Writing a Leave Request Letter for Marriage
- Remember to make your request as soon as you know the exact dates you’ll be needing off.
- Include both the start and return dates in your request
- Be honest and transparent in your request
- Remember to have both a face to face talk to your employer, as well as provide a letter
- Keep your letter as short and concise as possible
- Tell your employer that you’ve made arrangements regarding who will handle your workload when you are gone.
- Keep a copy of the letter for yourself, and give a copy to the HR department
- Tabulate all your accrued time that is owed you, and place it in the letter
- Show your gratitude and appreciation regarding the consideration of your request
- Keep the tone professional, yet apologetic as you realize you may be causing an inconvenience
- Before you make your request, visit your HR department to see exactly how many days you are allowed
- The request for leave should always be done in writing, and include your handwritten signature
Things to Avoid When Writing a Request Letter for Marriage
- Not being honest with your employer by giving a different reason for your requested time off
- Don’t write a long, and lumbering account for requesting your leave. Keep it straight and to the point
- Don’t use a bossy or demanding tone, you are requesting a voluntary, personal leave
- Don’t spring this request without first notifying your colleagues and employer of your intention
This depends on the country you reside in. For instance, in Spain employees get 15 days, while in France it’s four. However, there is no such entitlement existing in the USA. As such, it’s the duty of the employee to keep track of the days owed them, such as sick days, personal and vacation days, and put them towards their wedding leave request.
When your requested leave of absence is longer than expected, it becomes an extended leave of absence. Each business will have their own requirements, so check with your employee handbook for reference. In general, and extended leave uses your accrued days owed you. In other words, if you accrued 30 days from either vacation time, personal or sick leave, or a combination of the three, you can use this as leverage for your position. Remember, requesting a leave for marriage is viewed as personal time off, the business is not required by law to give you such a leave.