Too much work without a break isn’t healthy; it leads a person to somehow under perform at work. You need a break or sometime for leisure but your company don’t create time for that. Of course, there is that time that is set for your day off but there comes a time when you just need a break. Telling this to your boss straight on may never work. So, what is the best way to approach it? Call in sick! Yes, this is the only way for that break time to be granted.
The technique will work but you will need to plan it so well for the boss or the supervisor to believe that you are really sick. Your colleagues must be convinced that you are not feeling well. Play sick prior to the day you plan for the off.
How to Call Sick to Work
Call in Early in the morning
You have to inform your boss or supervisor about your “sickness”. The best time is to do it early in the morning. There is this early morning voice that makes a person sound sick or weak. Take advantage of this to inform your boss.
Another advantage of calling in the morning is that you boss will most likely be on voice mail and you will have the chance of leaving a message rather than talking directly to him.
Don’t give too much explanation. Be straight to the point. Too much explanation may expose you.
Express your regret. Though you know it’s not real, let the boss know that you were really hoping to be at work that day but the situation got worse. You can say something like, “the headache started yesterday, and I was hoping I will wake up feeling well”
Nobody will believe you if you just speak with the normal tonetone always use at work. Keep your voice soft and speak slowly like someone who is really sick. Do not overdo it. You can fake in some cough or yawns or sneeze.
The best way to do it is to practice before you make the call. Get to know about the techniques that will make your voice horse. For example you can sing loud the night before and scream a little in the morning before making the call.
Be prepared for questions
Your boss will not just answer the phone and listen to you and just say yes to you. Some bosses will want to know more or be suggestive.
They may tell you to just go and stay at the desk or avoid the task that will make you weak.
You should be prepared for all kinds of questions and suggestions from your boss.
The best sickness to always fake is one that is contagious like flu or one that cannot be managed at work like food poisoning. Think of good answers depending on your boss’s character.
End the call with a positive impression
Let your boss know that you are hoping to be well and be at work the following day. After all you just needed a day off. Give them the impression that you truly regret for not going to work.
Let them know that you will be available for any questions if need be [that is if you are willing to be disturbed]
Thank the boss for being considerate on your situation.
Keep it on after you return to work
Of course, you will not look like you did on the day you called in sick but you will still be somehow look “weak”. Do not go back full of strength and looking all refreshed. Keep on the cough or the soft voice. Though you will keep these “symptoms” do not talk about it. You will be creating room for questions on how you are feeling which might end up exposing your trick.
Keep it to yourself
Don’t go discussing with your coworkers on how you succeeded to get a day off by faking an illness. Don’t trust even your closest coworker, if anything, fake the more on the people you trust most. This way, nobody will ever find out what you did. You want to keep your books clean by looking responsible, do it by keeping this to yourself. Keeping it a secret may just give you a second successful chance to do it!
Be friendly to your boss
This doesn’t mean that you go sending sweet vibes to your boss. The only way to be nice to your boss is to show your commitment to your job and to achieving results. Work towards achieving results that will be noticed by your boss. Get to work on time and when at work, just work. Try keeping off any mistake that will hurt them. Do not go out of your way to get results but just be nice by doing what you are supposed to do at work. Be you.
Calling in Sick When You Just Need a Day Off
Check on your timing
Choose a day that will not leave your boss suspicious about your “sickness”. Some of the days that leave them suspicious are the ones just before or after a weekend or a holiday. The boss will think that you are nursing a hangover or had traveled and were not able to come back on time. Be thoughtful about the day you pick for this.
Avoid direct conversation
Not so many people will be able to fake a voice to sound sick. You may scream and shout but still not give that sick voice. To be safe on this, make sure that you avoid making a call. Instead choose other methods of communication like a letter, a text and the best one being email. If you think calling is the best when it comes to your boss, do it very early in the morning and stick to a sick or weak voice. If you are lucky, the call may go to voicemail and that will save you the trouble of many questions.
Be straight to the point
Do this by being very brief. Too much talking will lead you to exposing yourself without your knowledge. Give a brief answer to any question that your boss will ask you. The rule here is, make your talk as brief as possible.
Keep it low
Do not tell anybody [not even your closest friend] that you lied. That will no longer be a secret and may end up getting to your boss.
Telling it out is risking your chances at your workplace and you may never be trusted again even when you are genuine.
Avoid social media
You’ve faked a sickness to get your day off, you go to the beach, and take photos and cant wait for the world to see. You post it on social
media and guess the part of the world that will be seeing it, your boss! If this happens, you might be risking losing your job completely. The best thing to do on this day is to be very careful on social media, if possible, avoid it completely on this day.
Work Hard when you get back
You have to work hard after you go back to catch up with the projects and stay up to date with the tasks entitled to you. This will show commitment to your boss, which is very important.
Tips for Calling in Sick
- Choose the right method to contact your boss. The best method to use is the one that is preferred by your boss. However, the right method will be writing to the boss. You can write through email or write a letter. To be sure that you are writing well, you can use a sample letter that will guide you on how to do it well. Calling should be the last option to choose because it will open up a room for many questions that you might not be able to answer. However, if it is the only way your boss prefers, call.
- Do not delay. Call as soon as possible. This means that you have to call your boss as soon as you start feeling like you really won’t make it to work. If you are feeling unwell at night, let your boss know then by writing an email or doing a text.
- Be straight forward. Do not give so many stories or going into so many details about your illness, instead, be straight to the point about why you are writing or calling.
- Inform your team. Don’t just tell the manager or the supervisor, it is also important to tell your teammates at your department that you will not be able to go to work because you are unwell. This will help them plan on how they will cover up on your part.
- Explain your availability. Tell your boss and your colleagues if you will be available on call or email for any question. If it is not possible, let them know still.
- Mention any important information. If there was a very important and urgent task that you were supposed to attend to on the day you call sick, inform it to the right people at work so that it can be attended to. This will keep others from struggling in your absence.
- Follow up. Follow up on what you may be required to complete. For example, the company may need a doctor’s note or something. Follow up to be in the know and do the right thing.