A follow up letter is a way of communication whereby one writes to get to know more about the progress of the event that had happened earlier. This form of letter best applies if there was communication before through an interview, business meeting or after making a good business contact at trade show. It is also a good way of consolidating business relationship between you and the recipient.
Follow up letter is a formal way of communication. It is therefore very important to follow the best procedure when writing. This will create a good impression to the person you are writing to because they will get to know the person they are dealing with. Because of this reason, one can get a feeling of uneasy when writing. To make sure you get the best results, it is always good to use a sample to guide you on how to write.
What to Include In a Follow Up Letter
- Remind them who you are: Formal meetings involve many people and the person you are writing to may not remember you due to busy schedule. Make sure you remind them who you are by mentioning the event where you met as well as quoting the date of the event.
- Give Reasons On Why You Are A Good Candidate: Whether it is an interview or a business opportunity meeting that you are following up on; you are not the only one who could be in need of that position. You have competition. It is therefore very important to explain why you think you stand out for the position you are asking for. This will secure you an opportunity.
- Include The Details You Might Have Forgotten In your Previous Meeting: You may have left out some important detail in your previous meeting or even discovered that you should have included some details. This is a perfect moment to mention them.
Tips on Writing A Follow Up Letter
- Send It At The Right Time: This will depend on the conversation in your meeting. Make sure you don’t do it soon or late. In most cases, it is good to do a follow up after a week depending on how you know the urgency of what you are following up on was needed.
- Use A Polite Language: This is a formal communication whereby courtesy and politeness is vital. You are asking for an opportunity and consideration among many others. Be polite in asking.
- Be Brief: You are writing to a person with a busy schedule and one who has to read many other letters or mails. Make sure you are direct to the point. This will at least assure you that your letter will be read.
- Put More Emphasis on Your Strengths: You are having another opportunity to express yourself and why you deserve this position. While keeping it brief, talk more on your strengths and best quality.
- Proofread and Edit Your Letter: Keep it professional by making sure you check on your grammar, right placement of punctuation marks as well as right spelling and right sentences.
Sample of A Follow up Letter
James Brown140 Main Street
Atlanta Georgia 3541
January 6 2019
Director, Human Resources
Calvin Tours And Travels Company
546 Business Rd
Dear Mr. Wayne
Thank you for considering me for an interview in the marketing position that was held in December 8 2018. I really did appreciate.
After speaking with you, I believe that I would be the best person to fill this position. My passion for tours and travel makes me a good person for the position. I also believe that my experience in this field will be of great help for the company.
i have good contacts with clients that can help this company to grow given the opportunity to work in your company.
I am looking forward to hearing from you once the final decision is made regarding this position.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Signature (hard copy)
Sample Follow Up Email
Dear Mr/Mrs (Last Name),
It was a pleasure talking to you last week on Wednesday about guest relations’ position in your company, which I am looking forward to fill.
I appreciate that I was able to talk to you more about the qualities that I have for this position. I believe my passion for this field will take the company to another level in keeping the clients.
I look forward to hearing from you once you get to your final decision about this position. Feel free to reach me any time on 555-678-987.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Types Of Follow Up Letter
- Business follow up letter: This is written when you are making up a follow up about a business opportunity you had discussed about with the recipient. Maybe you had discussed about partnering in business or supplying some items among others. You will write a follow up based on your business meeting discussion.
- Follow up letter after no response: This is a letter that you write after the time you had discussed on getting a response pass. You will write as a kind reminder because sometimes the response delayed due to some good reasons. Remember to do it politely.
- Follow up letter after an interview: This sis a letter written to follow up on an interview that one did and is looking forward for a position in the company or the organization they had applied to.