An event cancellation email is an email that is sent to notify all stakeholders that the event has been canceled. This can be a difficult email to write because there is likely to be a disappointment to some of the people who were looking forward to attending. The letter must be carefully written to provide information that will help recipients to understand the reason for the cancellation and plans, if any, to reschedule.
Sending the email at the right time with the right wording is essential. Everyone involved with planning and attendees deserves to know as soon as possible about the cancellation. This helps them to plan accordingly.
How to Write an Event Cancellation Email
It’s essential that the wording of your event cancellation email is precise. This guide provides you with helpful information on how to write the email, what to include in it, and other tips for writing the best possible even cancellation email.
The event cancellation email is an official notification of the cancellation of an event. Care must be taken to address those affected by the cancellation to explain what is happening and why. Here are tips about how to properly write the content for the email for the best possible outcomes.
- Keep the email professional. It’s best to maintain a professional tone when writing the email. Since the notice is going out to a variety of people involved, some may not be close acquaintances and you want to leave a positive impression by using a polite and professional tone by avoiding overfamiliarity or jargon. This is a serious matter so avoid any humor or informal language
- Maintain an apologetic tone. Since this is a negative turn of events, the tone of the email should be apologetic and empathetic.
- Stick to the facts. The purpose of the email is to relay the facts. You are informing recipients of the event cancellation. All content in the email should be related to the event cancellation and nothing else. Don’t include information about other events.
- Maintain positivity. The last thing recipients need is more negativity when hearing about an event cancellation. Try to avoid sharing your personal feelings about the event. Keep the tone positive. If there is the possibility of rescheduling, include it in the letter, but only offer facts that are presently known.
- Send the email as soon as possible. Timing is everything when sending an event cancellation notice. The email must be properly prepared and proofread before sending. Make sure it is free of any typos, grammatical, or syntax errors, then send it out as soon as you can.
What to Include in an Event Cancellation Email
An event cancellation email must contain all of the facts that the recipients need to know. The main points to cover depend on the type of event and if tickets were sold. Here are the things that you must include.
- The reason for the cancellation. Briefly describe the reason(s) that the event was canceled. Be transparent with what is known and offer an honest explanation without your personal feelings on the subject. Let stakeholders know that a difficult decision had to be made and why.
- Information about ticket refunds. If the recipients purchased tickets for the event, let them know about the process for receiving a refund.
- Known information about the reschedule date if it is applicable.
Event Cancellation Email Format
Dear [Name of recipient],
Regretfully we are required to cancel the [Name of the event]. [Reason for cancellation]. This was a difficult decision to make, but we were left with no choice. [1-2 lines to explain the reason(s) for canceling].
We extend our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. [Information about refunds or rescheduling if applicable in 1-2 lines].
Sample Event Cancellation Email
Dear Community Member,
We are saddened to inform you that the Spring Festival Series first concert of the year has been canceled. We made the decision to put off the event due to advice from the local health department due to an outbreak in our area of the coronavirus. While we were looking forward to seeing everyone at the event, your personal safety is our greatest concern. We still look forward to holding the as soon as the restrictions on public gatherings are lifted.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We look forward to seeing you at future events after the pandemic ends.
Vendors who reserved tables at the Spring Festival Series first concert will receive a refund within two weeks of the receipt of this notification. If you do not receive your full refund within this timeframe, please contact our office and let us know.
We thank you for your understanding as we work to protect the health and safety of our community. Our Spring Festival Series is a worthwhile community event that brings us all together to enjoy evenings of entertainment and camaraderie.
Angus McGill, Event Planner
Event Cancellation Email (Word Template)
Writing an event cancellation email is easier when you know what to include and how to get started. The letter needs to include a few basic elements. It must inform of the cancellation of the event, extend your apologies, and provide relevant information about getting a refund if applicable and informing about any known changes in scheduling. A fillable template takes much of the guesswork out of the task and helps you get started on the right foot.