They say a business career. Is like climbing a ladder. Along the way up you will meet many people who will make a contribution to your career’s success. These different people can always be counted on to help you solve a problem, work out a complex business deal or just give you general support.
It is a good idea to send them a note of thanks as you move up the ladder and become more successful with each passing year. These notes do not have to be elaborate but they should be sincere.
To learn how to write a good business thank you letter, just continue to read our article. it has the information you need to know about in order to show how grateful you are for all the support you received.
What is a Business Thank You Letter?
This is a simple note to express gratitude to those who have done something special for you throughout your business career. This letter recognizes the efforts others have done to help you and a simple note of thanks does go a long way in the business world.
Those same people will be more willing to continue lending you a hand when you acknowledge their efforts and contribution.
Why You Should Send a Business Thank You Letter
There are plenty of good reasons why you should send out thank you notes to business associates, staff, and other people who have made a positive contribution to your career. They are as follows:
1. Your reputation- these notes help give you a solid reputation and make people more willing to work with you
2. People’s perception of you- instead of seeing you as a greedy, ungrateful, selfish, etc., business person, you are seen in a new light and people will like working with you
3. It is good business- if you want to keep being successful, sharing the glory and credit helps others to share tips and other bits of information with you helping you look better to your bosses
4. It opens doors- you never know when you will want to change companies and by showing some gratitude, you could land a better position at another firm
What to Include
There is no long list of items to include but the most important one is the name of the person you are thanking. After including the name, list off all the ways the person has helped you.
That list will change depending on the project and the situation. Don’t forget to include the words, thank you. While you shouldn’t include any promises for future joint participation or getting them awards for their service you should leave that door open.
Having a willing business partner you can trust and rely on, is always valuable when you have another important task to perform for your company.
How to write a professional thank you letter
While the letter does not have to be more than one page long, it does have several stages you should use to guide writing the letter. Here are the different steps you need to take:
- Choose the method to send the note- handwritten and delivered, typed and sent through the mail, e-mail
- Choose who is going to get the letter- this can be one or more than one person
- Write so people can read it- for hand written letters only and for typed use an easy to read font
- Be professional- you are not looking for romantic hook ups here
- Use the right titles- be polite, respectful
- Put the purpose first- tell them why you are writing before saying anything else
- Be detailed- make sure you refer to specific situations and events
- Conclude the letter- say thanks again and leave the door open for future collaboration
Other items to include will depend on the letter you are writing. These include stating your goals, your qualifications as well as talking about the next steps.
Tips for Writing a Business Thank You Letter or Email
1. Before you write, review samples of business thank you letters to get an idea of how to write yours.
2. Do not delay in writing the letter. If you really appreciated their help send one to the person as soon as possible after the collaboration ended.
3. Place the words ‘thank you’ in your e-mail subject line. This eliminates any questions about why you are writing them.
4. Keep the business letter format to stay professional.
5. Before you send the letter off, proofread it. Make sure there are no mistakes or wording that could be misunderstood.
6. Don’t sound desperate when writing a note to thank the other company for a job interview.
When and How to Send it
How to send it will depend on who you are and what your preferences are. If you like the personal touch, hand write the letter and either drop it off personally or have it delivered by an assistant or the mailman.
If you want to keep things business-like, then type an e-mail and send it off to the person who worked with you or gave you an interview. No matter how you send the letter, it should be done as soon as possible after the project or interview is done.
The longer you delay, the easier it will be for you to forget about their contribution and the letter will never get written.
Sample Thank you letter for business opportunity
Dear Mr. Smith
I would like to take a few moments and thank you for your time you gave me on June 6th. I appreciate your filling me in on the business manager’s position and all the duties that would need to be done.
The position sounds very fulfilling and rewarding. When I think of the many opportunities for collaboration and advancement I feel that my MBA would come in handy and help me make a good positive contribution to your firm.
I look forward to hearing from you and if you need to contact me, do not hesitate to do so.
Jones @ yahoo . com
Sample Thank you letter for business support
Subject: Thank you for your work
I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all your hard work setting up this teleconference and arranging the time to meet everyone’s schedule. Your work was above and beyond the call of duty and you should your expertise in arranging all the reports, technical aspects and coordinating everyone’s schedule.
The teleconference went smoothly and everyone was impressed by how good it was. No one had trouble hearing each other and they liked how they could communicate like they were in the same room.
If you need assistance with any matter and it is within my power to do so, I will be glad to help out. Just ask.
Business Thank You Letter Templates
Writing a good business letter can change the way people look at you. They will be impressed by your thoughtfulness and for taking the time to acknowledge their contribution.
It is always a good business move to thank those who help your career be successful.