A birthday letter as the name specifies is the letter written on the occasion of someone’s birthday. This person could be a sibling, relative, friend, or colleague, etc. When writing for a colleague the letter would be formal in tone. However, when writing to a close family member or friend, the length may vary. You can add memories and stories in the letter as well.
Writing the letter might be a little tough for someone who is not very fond of writing and hence, using a sample letter would make things easier to understand.
Phrases for Writing a Birthday Letter
- Wishing birthday from the core of my heart. May you always smile.
- Happy Birthday my sweet daughter/sister/friend (Name).
- Happy Birthday! May you live a long and happy life.
- Accept my wishes on this special occasion. May you see many more birthdays. Happy 27th Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to my favorite person in the world!
- Love and warm wishes on this special. Wishing you health, happiness, and joy! Very happy birthday to you.
- Enjoy the Day! Celebrate and have fun. Happy Birthday!
- You deserve to be happy and enjoy this special day. Happy 30th Birthday! May you live life to the fullest.
Tips for Writing a Birthday Letter
- Write the letter in a manner that touches the heart of the reader. Use nice words and avoid being formal with close family members. However, if you are writing a letter to a colleague or a friend, you can choose a formal tone.
- A birthday letter in handwriting would give it a personal touch as compared to a birthday letter that is typed.
- Try to make it memorable.
- Add a touch of personal tone in the letter.
- Add some humor in the letter. It would make the letter interesting.
- Show how excited you are for the event.
Birthday Letter Format
Subject- Sample Birthday Letter
Dear [Insert Name here],
I, [Name], your [relation] is writing this letter to wish you a happy birthday. I am sorry for not being able to wish you in person. I remember how you wait for this special day the entire year. I hope you are celebrating this occasion with your mom, dad, and close friends. I wish you all the happiness in the world. I am sending you a small gift. It is with your mom. She will give it to you in front of the family members. I miss you a lot. Looking forward to meeting you soon.
Sample Birthday Letter/Email
Subject- Sample birthday letter
Many many happy returns of the day. I wish you a very happy birthday and sending you a special gift as well. I know how much hard work you put in for this special day. You must have arranged a huge birthday party. I am sure you have invited all the college friends and family members. I’m glad that you are having a good time. I wish I was there to celebrate with you. I miss you a lot.
Types of Birthday Letters
Birthday Letter to a Friend
A birthday letter to a friend as the name specifies is addressed to a friend. It can include the following information:
- This letter can be informal in tone.
- You can share a short and sweet message.
- You can also add a memorable story in the letter.
Birthday Letter to sister/brother
This letter as the name specifies is addressed to your brother or sister. It can include the following:
- The tone of the letter would be informal.
- You can add a personal touch by adding childhood memories.
- You can add many sweet wishes and messages in the letter.
Birthday Letter to mom/dad
This letter is addressed to mother or father. It can be short and sweet or it could be full of memories.
- You can add memorable childhood moments in the letter.
- You can discuss favorite food you miss the most.
- You can mention your favorite time with mom or dad.
Birthday Letter to girlfriend/boyfriend
This letter is addressed to a boyfriend or girlfriend and can include the following:
- You can send special wishes
- You can share a special memory
- You can say how much you miss the person
Birthday invitation letter
A birthday invitation letter is to invite someone to a birthday party. This birthday party could be yours or of a family member.
- The tone of the letter is a little formal.
- You should mention the venue and date.
- You should mention how valuable the presence of invitee would be.