Biography refers to the historical information about a subject that is written by a person other than the subject himself. Like any other piece of writing, an outline is needed to do a better job. The outline basically provides the step-by-step guidance that is to be followed from scratch through to the end result.
Biography outline templates
Other than saving time, the templates cut down the hassles that one may have to go through to deliver a final end. That is primarily because it seeks to break those difficult concepts into simpler and easy-to-understand narratives. This is not to mention also that it provides a framework that when followed diligently, solves all the mysteries.
How to write a biography outline
Step i: seek permission from the subject
Start off by seeking the permission of the subject. You just cannot start writing about a person that way. You have to talk to him to ask him whether he is comfortable with that fact or not. This permission is also necessary to ward off any unnecessary legal tussles that are likely to emerge.
Step ii: search for the primary sources of information about the subject
Upon receiving permission, you should now search for the primary sources of information about the subject you are intent on writing about. These sources include first-hand narratives, past books written by the subject, and interviews with the persons concerned. Be fair and impartial to get both sides of the argument.
Step iii: pay personal visits to the relevant locations
As part of your effort to collect the relevant information, you should also pay personal visits to the relevant locations where those events supposedly took place. Take time yet again to speak to the persons at those scenes. This way, you will be able to corroborate the information you had received earlier on.
Step iv: study the place and time of the life of the subject
Do spend some time to study the place and the times of the life of the subject. This again will go a long way in furnishing you with the necessary pieces of information. Over and above that, it also serves as a way to corroborate the facts you will already have attained beforehand.
Step v: prepare a timeline of the person’s life
Finish off by preparing a timeline of the person’s life. We have already pointed out that the outline provides a framework against which other vital pieces of information are supplied. This timeline is the one in fact that provides this particular framework.
Tips for writing a biography outline
- Identify yourself as a writer. Even before commencing the writing exercise, you should identify yourself as a writer. State who you are, your background, and how qualified you are to draft the outline altogether. This will instill some confidence in the audience who will, later on, read the outline.
- Delineate your goal and audience. Move now to delineate your specific goal and target audience. Who exactly are you targeting and why? Having a specific goal and audience will help you to narrow your writing efforts accordingly. In this way, you will also avoid unnecessary language and facts that may not serve the purpose.
- Use the third person tone. Always use the third person tone when writing the article. This serves two purposes. For one, it distinguishes this one from the autobiography. Then, it makes it plain to the reader that the information provided does not concern you, the writer, but rather a third party.
- Highlights the main points and accomplishments. The core of the biography is to showcase the major accomplishments and feats of the subject. Thus, you should make it a matter of priority to highlight those very facts. It is only in this manner that you will be able to let the biography serve its intended purpose.
- Target your information accordingly. Throughout your writing undertaking, be sure to target the information to the specific audience you will have delineated beforehand. Do not stray from the main subject either as this might lead to unnecessary confusion and the possible loss of interest in the literature altogether. Do not forget to proof-read and edit if need be.