Apology letter to parent is written by the child/children to express regret to the parents for a mistake that was done. This is an informal letter but should be written with all due respect so that you can obtain pardon from the parents. It may get hard on how to start when writing as well as the best way to express regret through writing.
Using a sample letter will make things easier, simpler and clearer.
How to Apologize to Your Parents
- Acknowledge you are wrong. The first step to apologize is to recognize your mistake. How then will you be sorry if you cannot admit your mistake? Admit it to yourself first that you really regret your action, by doing this, you will be able to say sorry to your parents.
- Choose the right words to use to express your regret. After reflecting on your mistake and composing yourself, find the right words that will best express your regret on the specific mistake. that you made.
- Be sincere. Be sincere about where you went wrong and why you did it. This is the best way to show that you regret being in the wrong. Do not try to use excuses or putting your blame on others, just be honest and ask for forgiveness.
- Choose the best time to apologize. Do not go apologizing when your parents are busy at work or when they are driving. Find the best time to do it. You can ask them if they have sometime for you or if they are able to create some time for you. if you live in the same house, you can choose the moment when they seem relaxed.
- Be courteous. Though this is always an informal apology, use respectful and courteous words. Do not use words like” mum you know I would not have stolen your money had you given me the right amount” use kind words that do not show frustration.
- Promise you will not repeat the mistake again. Do this by explaining the measures that you’ve put in place to make sure that the mistake does not happen again. Make sure you give a promise you can keep.
- Do not interrupt their response. Listen to what your parents have to say after you have expressed your regret. Do not try to justify yourself in case they correct you and maybe tell you of a punishment they will put on you for your mistake. Listen through what they say with calmness.
- Tell them that you love them. Tell your parents that you love them and respect them. You can also say that you never intend to hurt their feelings.
- Thank them for their forgiveness.
Apology letter to parents for bad behavior
Dear mom/dad, I am so sorry for [action]. I know it hurt your feelings to see me taking the wrong direction. I appreciate your love, concern and efforts to see me grow to be a responsible person.
I promise I will not repeat this again. I love you so much mom and dad and I hate hurting your feelings by doing the wrong thing. Please forgive me.
Apology letter to parent for stealing
Dear Mom and Dad, I feel so bad that I stole from the people who love me the most in this world. I sure feel bad and regret about it. It is really stressing me, and I am not even able to look at you straight.
You have done your best to give me everything that I ask for, but I still went ahead and stole your bracelet mum. I am so sorry please forgive me. I sold it so that I could go out with my friends.
Please forgive me mum and dad. I love you so much and you mean the world to me. Doing this to you tears me to pieces and I promise I will never do it again. I will be honest with you from now on and will understand when you say no. I love you and I hope you forgive me.
Apology letter to patents for lying
Dear mum, I am so sorry for lying to you about being sick. I made you miss work so that you can stay with me. I know how important your work is for all of us. You work so hard so that you can give us all we ask for.
Mum I am sorry that I put you through this after all the efforts you’ve put to teach me not to lie. I promise that I will not repeat it again. The nest time I want to miss school I will tell you and not
fake a sickness. I am so sorry, and I hope you forgive me.
I love you so much mum.
Your loving daughter,
Apology letter to parents for bad grades
Dear mummy and daddy, I really appreciate all the efforts that you put to see me in the best school. I have never lacked any material I needed to improve on my studies.
Despite all this, I have let you and myself down by failing badly in my grades.
I admit that I have lately engaged myself with the wrong company that has led me to be lazy in my studies and focus on the wrong things. I am so sorry for this and I promise to work hard to go back to my grade which was A always. I will make you proud of you my dear parents because I love you so much.
I appreciate your love for me and thank you for all you do for me.
I love you.
Apology letter to parents for drinking
Dear dad, You have talked to me about life and the benefits that come from behaving well. However, I have let you down by going out of the way and drinking. This is against your wish and I am so sorry I hurt your feeling.
I promise to improve on my behavior and be the best son that you want me to be. I will make you proud. I love you so much daddy and I hope you can forgive me.
Your loving son
Apology letter to parents for drugs or smoking
Dear dad, It hurts me so much when I think about how disrespectful I have been on you. I am so sorry dad. You have raised me well and invested so much on me because you want me to be the best. Despite of all your efforts, I have gone ahead and engaged myself to drugs and smoking.
Dad, I don’t have the right words to say I am sorry. It hurts me so much to know how much this has hurt you. I will do my best to change and be what you wanted me to be. Dad I will make you proud of me. I love you so much dad. Please forgive me.
Apology letter to parents for getting arrested
Dear mum and dad, I am writing to you with a broken heart because I know I not only caused shame on you but also broke your heart for engaging myself in the wrong company. You warned me severally about it and I failed to listen. This led me to being arrested. I am feeling so ashamed and don’t know how to face you anymore.
I am asking for your forgiveness. I promise to change and be serious with life from now on. I appreciate your love and concern about you and thank you so much for bailing me out. I love you so much my parents and promise to be the best son. I hope you forgive me.
Apology letter to parents for sneaking out
Dear dad, You have warned me several times about sneaking out of the house at night, but I have not listened. This time round I saw how heartbroken
you are because of this behavior. I know it can lead to so many other bad incidences like being arrested.
Dad I have realized that this is really wrong and risky. I also realize how it hurts you. I am so sorry for this, please forgive me daddy. I appreciate your love and efforts to see me be the best I can
I promise to change and be the best son. I love you so much dad.
Apology letter to parents from school teacher/ principal
Thank you so much for your continued support and cooperation towards achieving the school mission and vision. The cooperation you show in helping the teachers make your child become the best is much appreciated.
We have noted with deep regret the concern that most parents have about the diet of your child when they are in school. we have reviewed this and will change the menu to suit the recommendations that we have received from you.
We are very sorry for this and we look forward to improving the standards of the school to be the best for your children. Once again, we thank you for your cooperation.
Tips on Apologizing to Your Parents
- Approach them with respect. Let your parents know that you respect and honor them.
- Stay calm when they are talking to you. When they address your mistake with anger and disappointment, do not try to justify yourself for this will lead to an argument. Stay calm and listen to them.
- Be honest with them. Do not try to hide anything because they will be more hurt when they find out. Be honest no matter how hard it may be to say it.
- Explain your points in a tactful way. If they led you to doing a mistake, do not say it straight to their face. Find the right way to discuss it with them, it may not be necessarily at the time of apology, you may choose another time to say it especially when they are calm.
- Find a fun activity to heal their heart break. You can take them out if you are able if not, you can make them dinner or write a fun note after your apology.
Things to keep in mind when apologizing
- Apology is the only way to show your parents that you regret your mistake and you are working hard to improve your behavior. Do it because you mean it.
- Your parents might still choose to punish you for your mistake even after you apologize, they don’t mean wrong but are doing it out of love and to make you a better person.
- Your parents are human beings and could take some time to forgive you. They will still remain your parents, understand them and work on making sure the mistake never happens again.